Graphics
Sapphire Dual-X 7970
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Nice build :) I like how you got the most juice out of your money.

I'm thinking about using the same motherboard, but with a i7-2600k and an amd 7970

I assume I would just need to not enable the onboard settings for the onboard graphics?

...I'm thinking about using the same motherboard, but with a i7-2600k and an amd 7970...
Since you're going to use a "H" series motherboard which doesn't lend itself to overclocking, I'd recommend an i7 non "K" processors such as an i7-2600 or 2700. You'll save yourself some money.

Since you're going to use a "H" series motherboard which doesn't lend itself to overclocking, I'd recommend an i7 non "K" processors such as an i7-2600 or 2700. You'll save yourself some money.
I already have the i7-2600k. I don't have a mobo so I'm shopping around for one, I have pretty much everything else. I'm more looking at this mobo since I'm doing a G4 mod.

Can you advise an alternative motherboard that you *would not need to edit the dsdt of* that would also have overclocking AND also be micro itx or atx?

Personally the ease of install, the size and the insane amount of usb ports (plus the headers for 4 more) make this a big lure for me since I'll want a stupid amount of usb slots or a firewire 400 (but a usb 2.0 to firewire 400 works since they're the same speed)

I already have the i7-2600k. I don't have a mobo so I'm shopping around for one, I have pretty much everything else. I'm more looking at this mobo since I'm doing a G4 mod.

Can you advise an alternative motherboard that you *would not need to edit the dsdt of* that would also have overclocking AND also be micro itx or atx?

Personally the ease of install, the size and the insane amount of usb ports (plus the headers for 4 more) make this a big lure for me since I'll want a stupid amount of usb slots or a firewire 400 (but a usb 2.0 to firewire 400 works since they're the same speed)
OK. Makes sense. Since you have a Sandy Bridge processor, I recommend a Sandy Bridge Gigabyte motherboard. (You can use the 2600K on an Ivy Bridge 7-series motherboard, but it's a PITA to get running.) I have three Gigabyte Z68 motherboards, one of which is the Z68MX-UD2H mATX in my Mac Pro case mod. Like my other Z68X-UD3H ATX size motherboards, it takes to OS X w/o a huge effort. Matter of fact, there is a very useable DSDT in the tonymacx86 DSDT Database which I still use although I'm running Mavericks on the Mac Pro case mod system. However, I've tested the installation Yosemite 10.10.1 on my Son-of-Zorro system (Z68X-UD3H / i7-2700K / ATI/AMD HD 6850) and 10.10.1 installation went very smoothly. So, you shouldn't have a problem with the Gigabyte Z68MX mATX motherboard in a G4.

I, too, have a Mac G4 Sawtooth that I've been waiting to hack. I also have a Gigabyte H67MA-USB3 mATX motherboard running an i3-2125 processor which is also an easy OS X candidate for you using the appropriate DSDT fromt he DSDT Database. I've got the Laser Hive G4 mod kit and am just waiting for sometime to do this mod and put one of the Z68X's in an old G5 that I also have hanging around.

So, not wishing to hijack raphyv23's thread, those are my recommendations. Disclaimer: I have not tried to hack any other motherboard manufacturer's products - just Gigabyte's.

OK. Makes sense. Since you have a Sandy Bridge processor, I recommend a Sandy Bridge Gigabyte motherboard. (You can use the 2600K on an Ivy Bridge 7-series motherboard, but it's a PITA to get running.) I have three Gigabyte Z68 motherboards, one of which is the Z68MX-UD2H mATX in my Mac Pro case mod. Like my other Z68X-UD3H ATX size motherboards, it takes to OS X w/o a huge effort. Matter of fact, there is a very useable DSDT in the tonymacx86 DSDT Database which I still use although I'm running Mavericks on the Mac Pro case mod system. However, I've tested the installation Yosemite 10.10.1 on my Son-of-Zorro system (Z68X-UD3H / i7-2700K / ATI/AMD HD 6850) and 10.10.1 installation went very smoothly. So, you shouldn't have a problem with the Gigabyte Z68MX mATX motherboard in a G4.

I, too, have a Mac G4 Sawtooth that I've been waiting to hack. I also have a Gigabyte H67MA-USB3 mATX motherboard running an i3-2125 processor which is also an easy OS X candidate for you using the appropriate DSDT fromt he DSDT Database. I've got the Laser Hive G4 mod kit and am just waiting for sometime to do this mod and put one of the Z68X's in an old G5 that I also have hanging around.

So, not wishing to hijack raphyv23's thread, those are my recommendations. Disclaimer: I have not tried to hack any other motherboard manufacturer's products - just Gigabyte's.

Personally I'd like to stay away from edited DSDT since I'd like to be able to take any upgrades possible without ruining my hack. I like the vanilla install used here, I used even less settings on the system I use now and I love how compatible it is so for me thats a huge lure over edited dsdts since who knows what programs may or may not work with it, it could be a nightmare for me if I send this rig "finished" over to the studio only for it not to work properly with some programs, or corrupt the os if they try to update it.

I can find this mobo on newegg shipped for $50 and its smaller then the gigabyte boards you've suggested so I feel it may work better for the g4 mod where space is limited.

OK. Good luck with your G4 Mod. :thumbup:

BTW, you might try using DSDT-Free because, as the MultiBeast Features document states on page 3:
EasyBeast is for Core 2, Core i or Xeon systems with no native CPU Power Management.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back