Contribute
Register

[[delete please, solved]] Mojave works great but can't reboot without repairing with secondary drive EVERY TIME

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASUS Z690 ProArt
CPU
i5-13600K
Graphics
RX 6600 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Just curious if anyone else has this problem.

Mojave (latest) working great but when I restart, it goes into bootloop hell

I mostly cannot successfully reboot without booting into secondary backup drive's recovery partition... then I repair the main drive with disk utility (and it always has ZERO errors) but when I restart, it boots the main drive, no problem.... WTF :`(

I've also tried just booting into the main drive's recovery and can't repair (obviously as it's using the drive) and also tried restarting without repair without success on them main drive repair partition and the backup repair partition.

It drives me crazy, but curious if others have this problem and it's something simple?

It seems there is no rhyme or reason to the reboot either.. first I thought it was USB devices... but no.. then I thought it was USB2 only ports.. so I stopped using them.. but nope... then I thought it was my graphics card RX570, as I have 2 monitors.. both using DisplayPort and sometimes I swap them thinking it's some sort of video problem.. but nope.

Also a side note.. when it is a successful boot.. the macOS black screen white apple logo eventually creates PINK steps lines like a staircase... which is strange probably?

I've also completely wiped the Mojave install and used another drive as well, thinking maybe that would help, but no.. still having bootloop hell problems

Also I have a thunderbolt 2 audio interface.. connected to a Gigabyte z77x-upTH5 thunderbolt 2 port. Sometimes it's happier booting with the interface off but it's not consistent at all. Sometimes yes, sometimes no. So I don't think the thunderbolt is the problem... not sure

Also just comparing my EFI with the backup recovery drive... my main drive doesn't have APPLE folder with firmware files in the EFI... should I copy from the recovery to the main drive? I think I might just to test to see if that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back