Contribute
Register

Default resolution has changed with upgrade to Ventura 13.1

I'll be honest, this issue has me baffled as there is no logic for the display to resort to 1920 x 1080 screen resolution. Especially not to set that as the default resolution.

Maybe using a free app like this one called 'Better Display' might help.

There is also a free app called 'EasyRes' available from the AppStore that may work.

Better Display is NOT Free, it is offered on a 14-day trial. I just installed it to see what it offers and saw the trial period.

So the EasyRes app may be a better option.

I'll be honest, this issue has me baffled as there is no logic for the display to resort to 1920 x 1080 screen resolution. Especially not to set that as the default resolution.

Maybe using a free app like this one called 'Better Display' might help.

There is also a free app called 'EasyRes' available from the AppStore that may work.

Thanks. I'll try it out. I also tried an old solution (from 2012 under chameleon, no less!!!) to delete the com.apple.windowserver.plist (which HAS my resolution set under the various keys) but upon reboot, the issue was still there. The baffling part is that it was fine under recent previous OS versions so why did it show up under Ventura? Something really minor has gotten an accidental "rem" or "#" at the beginning of it that didn't have it before. It's purely cosmetic so I'm not losing any sleep over it.

Better Display is NOT Free, it is offered on a 14-day trial. I just installed it to see what it offers and saw the trial period.

So the EasyRes app may be a better option.
Hmm, I've DLed the app and it seems that the Pro version has the 14-day free trial but I have no nag-screens on the non-pro version (About shows version 1.4.3 Build 13588). But that being said, it does offer a lot of settings for anyone needing EDID info and DDC fine-tuning. It's almost like Onyx for your monitor.

Hmm, I've DLed the app and it seems that the Pro version has the 14-day free trial but I have no nag-screens on the non-pro version (About shows version 1.4.3 Build 13588). But that being said, it does offer a lot of settings for anyone needing EDID info and DDC fine-tuning. It's almost like Onyx for your monitor.
Thanks for this post. Was able to change the default resolution and rename my monitor using Better Display. Now, the login screen is the same resolution as my 4k monitor.

Back