Contribute
Register

Deciding how to use my PCI slot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't forget that the machine has four USB3 ports, each of which is faster than a single SATA drive. External (or internal!) USB3 drives (carefully selected/configured so you're not using slow ones) should not be ignored in the search for more storage.

For example, I think you could take the two USB3 ports on the internal header and using one of the many internal header adapters around (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812240023), connect up two of these USB3/eSATA adapters. That would give you two eSATA ports (needing no special drivers to have hot-swap functions, and no PCIe card) and you could connect these to hot-swap bays at the front of your case. You'd need to tuck a bit of extra cabling away inside the case, but it gets you more I/O!

Sorry to be a noob but you have lost me, internal usb drives? sounds interesting

Well for my file system, i have the OS (separate ssd) and now currently i have 3TB

disk0: 120SSD - OSX
disk1: 1TB - Movies
disk2: 1TB - Music & TV
disk3: 1TB - Time Machine

Just looking on how to expand that a lot more really...the users dont really have a server share. But this would be a good option to have. there are 4 users, each could have 250Gb of a new drive. So speed isnt really any issue, as i use a WD TV Live to stream my movies and tv from the share. The rest is mostly storage or itunes server...

So with that revised idea i could have

disk0: 120SSD - OSx
disk1: 1TB - Movies
disk2: 1TB - Music & TV
disk3: 1TB - User Data
disk4: 4TB - Time Machine

These wouldnt be stripped. So if one goes hopefully id be able to replace and back up that drive from time machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back