Contribute
Register

DBP's "thornbill" build: Core i3-3225 / GA-H77N-WIFI

Status
Not open for further replies.
@DPB Can you comment on the relative merits of your HTPC build (and HTPCs in general) over, say, something like a Roku? I hadn't really heard of Roku's before, but a friend told me about it the other day and I'm curious.

A Roku streams media content from providers over the 'net.

My HTPC:
  • Can stream content over the 'net (including from iView, our national broadcaster's online portal).
    Note that Netflix/Hulu/etc don't work too well outside the U.S.
  • Can play and record DVB-T broadcasts. It has two tuners.
    We don't bother having cable but if we did, that would dealt with as just another TV source like DVB-T.
  • Can serve the TV content (live and recorded) to iOS devices around the house.
  • Is integrated with our ReadyNAS server (3 TB RAID) which is where our media library lives. (video and audio)
  • Runs the Printopia print server software, which advertises AirPrint services to all our iOS devices and sends the prints to the various OSX-accessible printers around the house.
  • Has an optical drive which is accessible from my lammergeier build and from the laptops around the house without having to find a USB optical drive. Optical drive use is rare these days, so we don't need one on each machine.
  • Can browse the web (e.g. from the lounge, to just read websites or to play content such as back-episodes of shows that TV stations have as embedded videos on their sites).
  • Is "a real computer" so we can add more functionality to it in the future. It's "open" and easy.
  • Is a computer which can be useful if a fault develops in another computer: it's always useful to have more than one.
  • Provides me with a stable OS X machine which is always running and I can connect into it from the 'net (via an ssh channel) when on the road with my laptop or even my iPhone.
I'm sure there's more, but that seems like a decent start. If I wanted to put a bigger graphics card in it I could play games on it too (even while it recorded TV content).

Ok, latest updates on this build...

DBP-A2_114204.jpg
You can see the slight blacking I've applied to the white logo on the case. I've done the same to the blue LEDs just to tone them down a bit. This is a work in progress: I'll clean it up a little more later.

CPU speeds

The i3-3225 is billed as a 3.3 GHz processor. Indeed, the GA-H77N-WIFI BIOS configuration has the base clock set at 100 MHz, and the core multiplier to 33.

However despite the setting, the BIOS reports the current core clock as 99 MHz. This explains why the CPU frequency as reported in HWMonitor ranges from 1.584 GHz (16x multiplier) up to 3.267 Ghz (33x multiplier). There doesn't seem to be anything we can do about this, other than noting that the processor is running 1% slower than it could be.

SSD

Last weekend I installed a 64 GB SanDisk SSD as the new boot disk. The drive was fairly cheap, removing the old 120 GB HDD has reduced the noise-makers inside the case, and booting the machine is a lot faster now. It doesn't affect the speed of the machine in use much (once apps are started) but it does make it more convenient for me when experimenting and rebooting.

I did of course install the SSD on a 6 Gbps port:
SanDiskSSD_speed.jpg

New drive layout:
  • 64 GB SSD: Boot drive
  • 250 GB HDD: 64 GB clone partition, with the remainder for Time Machine backups
  • 500 GB HDD: Video recordings and buffers

Remove sleepimage

I should have done this earlier of course. Don't assume that as a "desktop" system the hibernate mode defaults to 0 ("soft sleep" only) as it does on Apple systems. You will need to set this on every machine you don't intend to use hibernation on.
Code:
sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0
sudo rm /var/vm/sleepimage
Note that hibernation is where the RAM contents are pushed out to a file so the power can be turned off. This is the ultimate in power-saving functions, but it does require a little time to restart from sleep. It also chews up a chunk of drive space (8 GB in this case, matching the amount of RAM in the machine).
hibernatemode=0 doesn't disable sleep entirely, it just disables "deep" sleep where power can be turned off.

Temperatures

Ran Prime95/small as a stress-test. On a 25C day the core temps stabilised just over 60C, with the fans still making hardly any noise. That's OK with me. Usual temps even under load don't go anywhere near that. This was just a bit of a comparison after overclocking and tuning my lammergeier build.

One thing I did notice was the Northbridge (H77) temperature after boot crept steadily up to 60C, even with the machine relatively idle. The reason for this is obvious in hindsight: no airflow over the H77's heatsink. The PSU's airflow is separate from the case (in the bottom and out the back) so the only other fan is the CPU cooler's. The NH-L9i cooler blows air down into the CPU heatsink, and it's then channeled outwards by the heatsink fins. When I first assembled the machine I installed the cooler with the fins oriented front/back, which provided some airflow towards the RAM and some towards the power regulators.

The air blowing towards the RAM would only reach the first RAM module, and as an experiment I reinstalled the NH-L9i rotated by 90 degrees, so there's a slight draft over the edge of the H77. The Northbridge temps dropped by almost 10C! As expected, even a slight movement of air helps the heatsink radiator do its job. The WiFi card doesn't need much cooling, so next I built a simple baffle to redirect more airflow sideways to the Northbridge. I made it from some plastic I had lying around so it's a bit hard to see in this photo. But by channelling more of that air sideways over the H77 it's dropped the average temperature by another 4-5 degrees.

This photo is facing towards the back plate of the machine. You can see where the fins of the CPU cooler would direct air across the edge of the grey H77 heatsink, and the plastic baffle which is directing just a bit more air in that direction.
DBP-A2_114205.jpg
The baffle is a sheet which runs under the mini-PCIe card (the screw goes through it) and is then folded upwards at an angle. I'm sure a more-effective airguide could be designed: this was a quick hack.

My other option was to install a quiet 80mm fan at the side of the case (which already has mounts for four of them) powered by the motherboard's SYS_FAN connector and blowing a gentle breeze across the rear of the motherboard. But I'll hold off on that for now.

While I had the board out of the case I took a close look at where the WiFi/BT antenna pigtails led. canyoncliffs had already (identified for us) that the antenna connection nearest the HDMI port is the one used for Bluetooth. It turns out this is connected to the AUX port on the mini-PCIe card, which makes sense.

Taped one LAN port
This machine needs to have a static IP address (it's accessed from the internet via port forwarding on the local router). The simplest way of ensuring this is to use the same LAN port every time. But with two LAN ports at the rear of the machine, it's easy to connect a cable into a random choice when rearranging the system.
Simple solution: place some tape over the unused port. Black electrical tape blends in nicely with the black rear plate, and it's stopped me making a mistake several times already.
DBP-A2_114207.jpg

GA-H77N-WIFI HDMI Audio ?

hey, thanks for sharing your setup.

i have the same mobo/cpu, using HD4000 via HDMI to my TV, but i have a problem with audio. There is no audio from my HDMI cable.
Did you manage to make it work, or you use normal audio outputs?

Thanks.

PS: I get everything to work, with no DSDT, but after i install and configure everything i tried to install the DSDT from the tony database for this mobo, that should enable hdmi audio, but after rebooting, the video is all messed up on my TV, nothing is visible, so i have to reinstall everything.

No, I must admit I haven't fixed HDMI audio yet. At least with the clone partition (which I remember to update before trying MultiBeast/etc) I can restore the complete system when it screws it up.

It's still on my list to fix, but currently the analog audio goes to the amp just below the machine.

hi, i have the same motherboard with i5 2400+hd5770, i found some weird thing on my setup. i installed ML on my system and i tested it with geekbench, if i run geekbench when i just start my system up, i only get around 4k of score, but if i put my system sleep and wake it up and re-run the geekbench, it can hit around 9k of score. do u have this problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back