hd4000
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hello!

This is my first post here, so i'll try to make a good first impression :)
As stated above in the "topic" i'm building a digital audio workstation (DAW) that will be runing Logic Pro+Native instruments Komplete 8 and some other VSTs. The rig will be used only for music production and nothing else. After going through the buyers guide i've decided for the following components and i would like to hear your opinion before i make the final move.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3H
CPU: i7 3770
GPU: I guess the onboard HD4000 will do the job?
System disk: Samsung 840 500gb or 830 512gb. Im still deciding on this one. The 830s are suposed to be better and more reliable than the "non Pro" 840 version. This would be my primary disk where i would have OSX installed and all of the software that i need; Logic+Komplete+VSTs.
Storage disk: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 - 1TB 64MB SATA3 - 6Gb/s
RAM:Corsair Vengance 2x8gb 1600mhz cl9
Power supply: Im not sure how much power i need+do i have to pick a Corsair PS? Corsair builder series CX 500 v2
Case: Im looking for something cheap so if u have any good sugestions i would be happy to hear them.

Im still deciding on the size of the monitor that i'll buy. I'll probably go for the 27inch. Do i have to be careful about anything in this specific region?
My soundcard is probably going to be the first version of the Apogee Duet. My budget is around 250€ for this...so i'm lookin for something in this range.

Cheers,Nordik

BUMP

Any chance to get any advice?
Cheers

For a pure DAW build, the HD4000 will be adequate.
450W PSU will be plenty.

Get the Samsung 830 or the 840Pro, the 840Pro is preferred.

Suggestion - use a 830 128Gb for the OS HDD - get the 512Gb or larger 840 pro for a scratch drive/project working drive. This puts your fastest IO drive doing the build of your project, mixing your tracks.

You might also be interested in http://www.tonymacx86.com/music/12464-confirmed-pro-audio-interfaces-drivers-mac-os-x.html

Looks fine. You won't need 500W though, and no, it doesn't have to be Corsair. You can get a 250W - 300W PSU instead if you want to.

For a DAW, spend some money on a decent quiet case. For my last build I used a NZXT H2 case that has some insulation and a built in fan speed controller with 3 speed options. It still seems too noisy for a dedicated DAW; maybe because I used a Corsair H50 water cooler with dual push-pull fans on the radiator... Have a look at the Antec P280 or the Fractal Design R4 case.

I have the Fractal R4 case, with TWO extra Fractal fans. My CPU cooler is the NH-D14. With low noise adapters on all, the temperature has never gotten hot(unless im benching/stress testing, in which case the absolute max has been 76C, still very safe). It is literally inaudible. Top-notch fans and noise dampening.

Ditto on Going Bald's suggestion of a smaller SSD as your boot/apps drive. Another option that might save you some quid is looking into SanDisk Extreme SSD. Spec-wise, it's quite close to Samsung 840 Pro, but considerably less. I'm having great success with it in my recording/DAW build 2.0 (see link in my signature).

otherwise, the rest of your parts list looks good. If it were me, I'd stick with an affordable 500w. In the event you want to add another drive or need to add Firewire card down the line, you won't come up short.

there are a couple good web sites that have power supply calculators - I'd definitely research those as well before considering a PS in the 250-350 range IMHO...

Ditto on Going Bald's suggestion of a smaller SSD as your boot/apps drive. Another option that might save you some quid is looking into SanDisk Extreme SSD. Spec-wise, it's quite close to Samsung 840 Pro, but considerably less. I'm having great success with it in my recording/DAW build 2.0 (see link in my signature).

otherwise, the rest of your parts list looks good. If it were me, I'd stick with an affordable 500w. In the event you want to add another drive or need to add Firewire card down the line, you won't come up short.

there are a couple good web sites that have power supply calculators - I'd definitely research those as well before considering a PS in the 250-350 range IMHO...

Sandisk Extreme SSD's are NOT on par with 840 Pro's-their write speeds are MUCH lower. Click on the picture - http://www.pcworld.com/article/2020...ssds-plus-reviews-of-7-new-drives.html?page=2

Didn't even look very long for a comparison...Don't buy a 512gb ssd, but DO buy an 840 Pro.

Sandisk Extreme SSD's are NOT on par with 840 Pro's-their write speeds are MUCH lower. Click on the picture - http://www.pcworld.com/article/2020...ssds-plus-reviews-of-7-new-drives.html?page=2

Didn't even look very long for a comparison...Don't buy a 512gb ssd, but DO buy an 840 Pro.

Interesting review & results. I was simply going on spec for spec with Samsung's published numbers and SanDisk's for the 240GB (which is what I run). As you can see, SanDisk Extreme:
S-Read: up to 550MB/s
S-Write: up to 520MB/s

Samsung's published numbers are very comparable, hence the reason for my comments. My personal benchmark tests are in the high 480's/490's for read.

but agree--don't buy a 500GB SSD. 120-240 seem to be the best bang/buck & sweet spot...

I'm a bit confused regarding the SSD bundle. First things first...my budget doesnt allow 128gb 830+512gb 840pro. Its simply too expensive due to the fact i'm still a student :) So thats why i picked 840 512gb! But considering your advice it would maybe be better to buy a 128gb 840pro (for OSX etc) and 256gb 840pro (for Logic+Komplete 8). Please correct me if i understood wrong!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back