Radeon 4890
Mac
  1. MacBook
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hey Everyone,

So here is the problem that has unfortunately eaten up my entire day...

I have a D-Link DWA-125 USB dongle which has an RT3070 chipset.

I had it working wonderfully. I installed the drivers which worked for a while (i had start up with the dongle unplugged...plug it in...unplug....plug it back in, before it would work)

I then came across an application called RalinkAirport which fixed those issues. My computer would start up and read the dongle as an airport. Perfect!

That worked for a couple months until today...

My hackintosh crashed while emptying the trash (just 1 .mp3). On reboot none of my devices connected to USB worked. All my external hard drives, thumb drives, audio interface etc. I ran Onyx and ran all the maintenance scripts.

On restart everything worked again like normal, except the D-Link. Not matter what I do, the computer will not read that I plugged in the dongle. I have uninstalled everything multiple times and reinstalled it all in different orders, with the dongle plugged in, without the dongle plugged in, EVERYTHING.

I have no idea what to do. I have even reinstalled my DSDT and that didn't help.

Everytime I start up my computer with it plugged in now the computer freezes right before the login page. As soon as I unplug it my computer is lightning fast. Even if I olug it in after login my computer becomes very sluggish.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

~ Midsyde

More info that may help solve the problem...

- In System Profiler under USB 11n Adapter is listed with accurate information
- When I unplug the device console spits out an ethernet id for it
- According to many installation instructions 11n Adapter is supposed to appear in System Preferences -> Network...I can't get that to happen.
- When I try to open certain applications, they will freeze on startup until I unplug the dongle.

All these symptoms for the most part are brand new as of today. I have no idea what changed.

Again, any advice or suggestions would be much appreciated.

~ Midsyde

Well I did some more testing...

I erased everything related to the ralink device off my computer.

I then installed a different driver from Kexts.com here
http://www.kexts.com/view/256-ralink_usb_driver_v2.0_usb2870.html

I looked online and people say it's either 2870 chipset or 3070 chipset. I am assuming mine is 2870 because this worked in getting my computer to recognize the DWA-125...BUT....
Every time I open the Ralink Utility, the program freezes and I have to force quit it.

I thought maybe if I updated again to the newest drivers from Ralinks site it would help, but that just made the device unidentifiable again.

I am about to give up. I feel like the device is either broken or corrupt because everytime I plug it in my computer is slower and certain apps wont open.

EDIT: Tried 10/15/10 with no success. DWA-125 not recognized.
]I just found this newer driver at kexts.com which i may try.
http://www.kexts.com/view/387-ralink_rt2870_fixed.html

~ Midsyde

This forum can be marked as closed..

I never got the DWA-125 to work and quite honestly am happy I stopped screwing around with it. It slowed down my machine and caused crashing and certain applications to act up...and this was before it stopped working completely.

My solution. I built an airport card using the instructions found on this forum http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1143

To ALL people with a desktop hackintosh computer looking for a wireless internet solution. I recommend staying away from Ralink products and stick with the real apple airport card.

~ Midsyde

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back