1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. SE/30
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Hi,

This is an amazing site with a wealth of information. Thank you (all) for all the contributions and suggestions.

I'm a long-time Mac user and would like an updated Mac (I currently use a 2010 Macbook Pro w/El Capitan).

I have not built a computer before, but have worked on both desktop and laptop PCs.

Based on the information found here, I'm considering the following. I'm looking for a beefy Mac software development system that can also be used for occasional Windows gaming (stress on the "occasional". :) )

So, here is what I've come up with and I think I've stayed within the bounds of suggestions on this forum, so that all of OS X will function as expected.

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i v2 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste
Motherboard: ASRock Z170 Extreme7+ ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4-2800 Memory
Storage: Samsung 960 Evo 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: PNY GeForce GTX 970 4GB XLR8 Video Card
Case: NZXT S340 Elite (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair RMx 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply​

Any comments/thoughts/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I also would like some more Thunderbolt 3 ports on this machine. Are there any TB3 cards that are compatible?

Thank you!

-- Mark

Your system looks great, you'll definitely have a blast if you decide to go through with it :lol:

As for Thunderbolt 3, I do not believe it is compatible with Hackintoshes as of yet. Anyone feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

In the interest of making this Hack as compatible as possible with Mac OS X, I've revised my list a bit.

Since I've never done this before, I'd like some feedback on the viability of running OS X on this setup without too much tweaking of the install process. IOW, will this setup allow for a "smooth" install, using the instructions on this site? Or is this setup inadvertently wandering into uncharted territory? :)

Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor
Corsair H100i v2 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste
Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Designare ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4-2800 Memory
Intel 600p Series 1TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB SSC ACX 2.0+ Video Card
NZXT S340 - Designed by Razer ATX Mid Tower Case
Corsair RMx 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply​

Plus, I plan to add this:

As always, thank you for your time and input/suggestions! :)

-- Mark

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Blerticus,
The list looks good, to an extent. Ive read that the Corsair H100 can have problems on OS X. Please do more research on this site on the H100 Coolers. From what Ive read on the Intel 600p, it is NVMe SSD. This requires a patch for it to work. If your not familiar with this process I would stay away from them. See this post on how member Stork patched his build:
Stork's Gene Build > ASUS MAXIMUS VIII GENE - i5-6600K - Gigabyte GTX 950
For the WiFi/BT card pick the FV-T919A model of the card for full compatibility.
From what Ive read on Thunderbolt Ive read that you have to Dual Boot and then enable the Thunderbolt ports on the Windows side, then when you restart and go to OS X it should enable. Ive only read this and I hope someone can chime in on this.

To all who answered my queries here, plus the myriads of other posts on this great site:

Thank you!!! :)

Phase 1 of this project is functional.

Here are the components:

Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor
Corsair H100i v2 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste
Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Designare ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4-2800 Memory
Intel 600p Series 1TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB SSC ACX 2.0+ Video Card
NZXT S340 - Designed by Razer ATX Mid Tower Case
Corsair RMx 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Wifi/Bluetooth: Fenvi Desktop Wireless Card 2.4/5GHz draft 802.11n 300Mbps Desktop WLAN PCI-E Card

I happened to have a "Crucial SSD 250GB" drive sitting around that had El Capitan installed. (It was recently pulled from my daughters 2009 13" MacBook Pro who upgraded to a 480 GB. :) )

After booting clover and installing from UniBeast, I had expected it to wipe out the drive. To my surprise, it didn't, and I was able to boot the OS from the old MBP.

I do notice that the graphics card is not being used properly, and so I need to walk through some of the other guides on this site, which will be "phase 2".

Again, thank you for all your help and for posting your steps and progress.

-- Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back