Contribute
Register

CustoMac Pro Install Guide (X58A-UD3R+ATI 5770+10.6.7+64bit)

Status
Not open for further replies.
clarkkent08 said:
No luck yet. I've followed the guide but I don't seem to be getting anywhere. When I reboot to the Installer drive it stays at the gray apple screen with the spinning thing. It'll stay on there for 30min or longer if I let it. When I hard shut it down, and power it up, nothing shows up on the screen. Only when I reset the bios does anything actually show up and start to boot. It did the same thing to me when I tried to install 10.6.8 with combo update. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Not sure what's happening for you. The installer partition does move SLOOOOOW for me too, but not terribly slow during boot. It's when I get to the actual installer app that I get beach balls for over a minute on the early dialog boxes-- particularly when the installer is searching my 5 other drives/partitions to determine if they are kosher for a Lion install.

You could try booting to the installer partition in verbose mode to check where its getting stuck.

You could also try doing the Lion download, xMove, and Installer partition creation again. I know, not a fun option, but worth trying.

During my first install of Lion on one of my drives, the installer failed/stuck at the last minute. But the installation was actually finished anyway-- and Lion works.

So I booted into verbose mode and this is the error(s) that is gave me. Does this make any sense?

Attachments

• IMG_0353.JPG
    IMG_0353.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 263
Can you show a full spec of you machine? Are you using RAID for boot drive??

clarkkent08 said:
So I booted into verbose mode and this is the error(s) that is gave me. Does this make any sense?

I'm not using a raid on my system. Here are the basic specs:

i7 950 3.07
2x 4gb ddr3 gskill
XFX 5770 1024mb
samsung 1tb hd (main os drive)
samsung 1tb hd (clone drive)
Gigabyte x58a-ud3r rev 2.0
BIOS FF

If you need any more details, let me know.

Thanks

Anyone else having sleep issues?

Moving from 10.6.6 to 10.6.7, my sleep never works. It always turns the machine off. :(

Loki7 said:
Anyone else having sleep issues?

Moving from 10.6.6 to 10.6.7, my sleep never works. It always turns the machine off. :(
Almost exact same build as you besides GPU and my sleep is flawless.
I do not have a current MB screen shot but if you look at my Build link with credits there is an old screen shot, is what you checked close to that?

eledu71 said:
I have 12Gb G.Skill DDR3 1600 RAM and I´m not having any problems (I´m on 10.6.7).
But, I have a friend with this same setup and when he connects a DVD drive the USB ports stops working. He tried with three different drives I think.
Did you try to install with only one RAM stick on the mobo? You can add it later when it works!
It worked for me.
Hope it helps.
Best regards.

10.6.7 works perfectly, but once I try to go to 10.6.8 or 10.7 it starts to go crazy. Still not sure what the deal is.
I'm pretty sure I've tried it with one stick, but I might as well try it again with one and see how it goes.

I apologize for the wall of text below.

So far I've tried this twice both times with different failures.
My system.
CPU: i7-950
MOBO: UD3R rev2 (FF bios, gone over the bios setting and everything seems right)
RAM: 2x2gig corsair 1600mhz (installs windows/passes memtest)
GFX: Asus HD5870
HDD: Seagate barracuda LP 2tb HDD (2 x 400gb partition with the rest un-formatted)
PSU: Toughpower 850W

Using iboot 3.1.1 , Multibeast 3.8.0, combo update 10.6.3 and a retail SL install dvd at 10.6.3

First time I tried installing everything seemed to go fine, after reset the system hung at "verifying dmi pool data".
Hard reset and booted with iboot and the system hung at the grey apple logo. safemode also didn't work.

Re-installed, only thing i changed with ticking everything from the pic on the first page.
Restarted, took awhile to get past "verifying dmi pool data" but the boot-loader started.
osx also loaded but the screen flicked with static.

Hit the power button and had to go out, when I got home I hit the power getting ready to re-install and the computer came to life (as if it was only in sleep) and the desktop seemed to work just fine.

rebooted again to see if it would work, booted fine had a look at system profiler and it recognized the 5870 but before I could test anything the static and flickering came back.

P.S. Just remembered that the computer sounded like the gfx fan had been turned down, but the card wasn't hot to the touch.

Saintnick said:
I apologize for the wall of text below.

So far I've tried this twice both times with different failures.
My system.
CPU: i7-950
MOBO: UD3R rev2 (FF bios, gone over the bios setting and everything seems right)
RAM: 2x2gig corsair 1600mhz (installs windows/passes memtest)
GFX: Asus HD5870
HDD: Seagate barracuda LP 2tb HDD (2 x 400gb partition with the rest un-formatted)
PSU: Toughpower 850W

Using iboot 3.1.1 , Multibeast 3.8.0, combo update 10.6.3 and a retail SL install dvd at 10.6.3

First time I tried installing everything seemed to go fine, after reset the system hung at "verifying dmi pool data".
Hard reset and booted with iboot and the system hung at the grey apple logo. safemode also didn't work.

Re-installed, only thing i changed with ticking everything from the pic on the first page.
Restarted, took awhile to get past "verifying dmi pool data" but the boot-loader started.
osx also loaded but the screen flicked with static.

Hit the power button and had to go out, when I got home I hit the power getting ready to re-install and the computer came to life (as if it was only in sleep) and the desktop seemed to work just fine.

rebooted again to see if it would work, booted fine had a look at system profiler and it recognized the 5870 but before I could test anything the static and flickering came back.

P.S. Just remembered that the computer sounded like the gfx fan had been turned down, but the card wasn't hot to the touch.

I've got success when installing 10.6.0 and them combo update to 10.6.7/
At least in my config, was the only way to have the installation working.
Don't forget to leave only one memory stick just in case.
Best regards.

eledu71 said:
I've got success when installing 10.6.0 and them combo update to 10.6.7/
At least in my config, was the only way to have the installation working.
Don't forget to leave only one memory stick just in case.
Best regards.

I'm not sure if i would be able to find a 10.6.0 disk.

Even so, everything looks to be running fine except the gfx output, I've cooked a few video cards in my day and this almost looked like that. In any case I don't plan on giving up especially being this close.

ill keep testing and post news if i get it working. If anyones has had this issue or if there is something special I need to do give us a yell, it would be much appreciated.

EDIT: seems someone else had my issue on page 43. gunna have a look now and see what i can find.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back