CPU
i7-3770K
Graphics
GTX 670
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
[SOLVED] CustoMac MIni (H87N-wifi) with 10.9.2. crashes/freezes after plugging in USB

Hi there,

My CustoMac mini 2013 (build and set up according to the TonyMac guide) freezes up / crashes a couple of minutes after plugging in a USB drive or USB stick. If I do not use the USB port, the system is rock solid and can operate for hours.

I took me quite some time to figure this out, but now I can reproduce the problem 100% of the times.

My setup is as follows:

Gigabyte GA-H87N-wifi
Intel Core i3 4330
Broadcom BCM943225HMB mPCIe wifi bluetooth combo (both working!)

The system is running Mavericks 10.9.2. with 2 SSDT edits: one for the BCM943225HMB to work and one for the HDMI audio (patched HDA kext and IntelAzul kext), both by or thanks to toleda.

No changes to the BIOS settings of the motherboard were made.

Any idea's?

Does this happen with just the USB 3.0 ports or all of them ?
Front USB or back USB ? What type of USB drive are you
connecting with ?

Does this happen with just the USB 3.0 ports or all of them ?
Front USB or back USB ? What type of USB drive are you
connecting with ?

Happens with all ports... front and back. USB2 stick,.. USB3 stick,.. external HDD (Samsung) USB2 on different ports etc.
I have a keyboard and mouse connected to the USB2 ports on the back and they work with no problems at all.

Happens with all ports... front and back. USB2 stick,.. USB3 stick,.. external HDD (Samsung) USB2 on different ports etc.
I have a keyboard and mouse connected to the USB2 ports on the back and they work with no problems at all.

Try installing the Generic USB3 kext from the current Multibeast and then reboot and try
them again. Also check the bios setting for xHCI mode. Set it to enabled if it isn't already.

[SOLVED] CustoMac MIni (H87N-wifi) with 10.9.2. crashes/freezes after plugging in USB

Try installing the Generic USB3 kext from the current Multibeast and then reboot and try
them again. Also check the bios setting for xHCI mode. Set it to enabled if it isn't already.

Hi trs96,

I think the USB3 kext solved the issue,.. I have been copying files to and from the HDD to external disks and USB stick for over a hour and a half and stil no crash!

Thanks!

Hi trs96,

I think the USB3 kext solved the issue,.. I have been copying files to and from the HDD to external disks and USB stick for over a hour and a half and stil no crash!

Thanks!
Can you confirm this solved the issue please? I have been having this issue as well and it is very frustrating. I have tried this method before and it did not work. I have tried reinstalling from fresh many times as well.

Hey guys, just wanted to chime in here. I have been suffering consistent repeatable USB freezes with my hackintosh. Any time I inserted a USB flash drive, it was hit or miss as to whether the system would freeze. If the system did not freeze, I could get it to freeze every time after by ejecting the USB flash and reinserting it. Would lock the system every time.

I tried a lot of different fixes. Nothing seemed to change the behavior. Except this:

I downloaded three kext files from HackintoshOSX.com. Under the downloads section, Chipset, USB 3.0 Native, there was a zip file called 2817-OSX-iNDO_USB3.0.zip. I downloaded this file, unzipped it, and ran Kext Wizard to install the three kext files in the zip.

I backed up the original kext files first, of course.

The file names are:
IOUSBAttachedSCSI,kext
IOUSBFamily.kext
IOUSBMassStorageClass.kext.

I backed up the original files and using Kext Wizard, installed the new ones. I have no idea who make or hacked those files, nor if they are truly for my motherboard. However, I can tell you that my USB woes are GONE!

I have repeatedly attempted to freeze my system by inserting and reinserting multiple USB flash drives, and no freezes whatsoever. This is in stark contrast to my consistent, repeatable freezes prior to installing these three kexts.

I don't know the Tonymacx86 policy for linking off-site files to a thread, but you can file the files I used with the information I've posted.

I hope this can help some people who are experiencing USB freezes.

My system:
Mac OSX 10.9.4
Intel i5-4690S CPU
Gigabyte GA-B85-HD3
Gigabyte GTX 660 Ti

Note that I deleted the GenericUSBXHCI.kext from S/L/E prior to installing the new kext files, and I did not restore the GenericUSBXHCI.kext. Deleting this file did nothing to fix my freezes however.
I also deleted the AppleTyMCEDriver.kext that someone suggested. This also did not fix my freezes. I did not restore this file.

I believe I have successfully solved this issue for me and my parents (I built CustoMacs with the exact same parts and had the exact same issue with Mavericks).

I did install the kexts suggested above with the Kext Wizard. Initially, it did nothing. I then used Kext Utility which ran and, apparently, fixed permissions with the kexts. This seemed to solve the problem.

I also made sure to NOT install any additional USB 3.0 kexts from MultiBeast and I left the UEFI BIOS for the H87N-Wifi set to Optimized Defaults with the only change being the boot order so it would boot from the SSD.

So, to summarize, I solved this problem for myself by:
  1. Making sure no USB 3.0 option was chosen in MultiBeast
  2. Run Kext Utility (I did a Google search to find it)
  3. If that doesn't solve it, try running the suggested kexts from HackinstoshOSX.com as prescribed below:
I downloaded three kext files from HackintoshOSX.com. Under the downloads section, Chipset>USB 3.0 Native, there was a zip file called 2817-OSX-iNDO_USB3.0.zip. I downloaded this file, unzipped it, and ran Kext Wizard to install the three kext files in the zip.

I backed up the original kext files first, of course.

The file names are:
IOUSBAttachedSCSI,kext
IOUSBFamily.kext
IOUSBMassStorageClass.kext.

Since running this, I've mounted and unmounted several USB devices including thumb drives, external 1TB+ drives, and card readers individually and together while running FCPX, Lightroom, Safari, etc. without the computer locking up.

I should also note that I only installed the Intel Ethernet kext form Multibeast and not the Atheros one because I had read from some others who had a problem with that.

So, ultimately from my experience with 2 H87N-Wifi Motherboard systems (with the Intel i3 4340), it needs very little tweaking to work very well. I was close to replacing the motherboard until I found this solution, so I'm very happy now!

Hope that helps anyone else with this problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back