AMD
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
HHi,

I'm planing to build a Hack Pro, I want to build a strong system for graphics and video editing, for a few years of use.

Right now I'm selling my MacPro 1,1 (2006) which served me good, and decided to go the Hack way.

So I'm trying to decide between 2 options:
Socket 1366 option
Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R
Intel® Core™ i7 990X 3.46GHz 12MB 1333MHz
and then Triple Channel Ram (about 24Gb, 6x4Gb DDRIII 1600)

Or
Socket 1155 option
Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3-B3
Intel 2600k i7 3.4Ghz 8MB
and then memory will be Dual Channel, I can only find 16Gb RAM

My main concern is Dual VS Triple channel memory, although I've read socket 1155 gives better performance.

Other specs will be OCZ Vertex 3 256GB, some more SATAII HDD, DVD burner...

And for graphics, I want the nVidia GTX 580, are there good drivers?

What about bluetooth? any compatible adapter who support sleep also?

I'll be happy to get any suggestions.

Thanks

Get the Socket 1155 motherboard + i7 2600K. Sandy Bridge processors such as the 2600K are better in every single way. There is really no reason to buy a Socket 1136 motherboard + i7 990X.

Only a few specific models of the GTX 580 have been confirmed to work with OS X. viewtopic.php?f=15&t=28020

It is much easier to overclock the sandybridge 1155 socket machines than any of the 1366 socket machines.

AND you have the potential to go to an ivybridge processor when they are available.

If you are doing video I would go with a 2600k processor; if not then stick with a 2500k for less $$.

The nVidia high end graphics cards are more problematic / less supported than the AMD Radeon cards driver wise.

Thank you for the answers.

I think I'll go with the 1155 socket.

For the graphics - I use the Adobe CS, and work a lot with Premiere and After Effects.

So the new CUDA really comes into consideration when building a new system.

I saw a card of GTX 580 series:
Gigabyte GTX580 3072MB DDR5 "ULTRA DURABLE"

Any chance it gonna work? It's pretty expensive so I don't wanna waste my money to nothing...

eranno said:
Thank you for the answers.

I think I'll go with the 1155 socket.

For the graphics - I use the Adobe CS, and work a lot with Premiere and After Effects.

So the new CUDA really comes into consideration when building a new system.

I saw a card of GTX 580 series:
Gigabyte GTX580 3072MB DDR5 "ULTRA DURABLE"

Any chance it gonna work? It's pretty expensive so I don't wanna waste my money to nothing...

Support for the 500 series is still spotty right now, so I wouldn't recommend choosing any card that hasn't been absolutely confirmed to work. Once again, refer to this list. viewtopic.php?f=15&t=28020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back