Contribute
Register

Custom G5 Case Mod (Micro ATX, Easiest Build & Clean)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-H67N-USB3-B3
CPU
i5-2500K
Graphics
HD 6850
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Video temporally down... :beachball:

Hello All,

Like many other users on this forum I’ve attempted a G5 Case Mod but with slightly different Goals in mind. I’m only 14 and have had little experience with modding and for that matter using any tools apart from a hammer and a screwdriver. However I was still able to build a fully working G5 case mod with all the glitz and glimmer that comes with a Mac Design. All the ports work perfectly and the case is very clean (well the outside at least).

Added Video- Complete Build Finished-

[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qzbdgb1sit0[/VIDEO]

What sets this mod apart from other G5 Mods-

Build requires no electric tools, soldering or any uncommon tools
Motherboard is MicroATX
Cheap – Does not need much apart from the components and case

Ok lets jump into it-

Here’s the Case

img20120122173313.jpg

Firstly before I began I inspected the case and spent 5 Mins trying to open it I had no experience with the G5 Case at all.

g5back.jpg

After opening it I stripped everything all the fans, cords and random plastic bits. Although I had noticed the Upper tray which hosts the DVD and HDD’s was locked in with Torx and I didn’t have Torx Screwdrivers, so I decided I would work with it. Many more times I would run into similar problems.

MG_2070.jpg

Leaving the Upper tray meant I had to leave the fan and plastic bit in the middle. It really doesn’t matter as I could see nothing I could do with the space anyway. Also I left the HDD Tray as I used that to house the HDD’s – spares one less Job.

With everything correctly stripped down, all that remained was an empty case with nothing but Upper Tray, HDD Tray and a Fan Located in the upper tray. As well as these metal prods that use to hold the old motherboard these didn’t fit the Micro ATX Board so I removed these entirely. I used an adjustable wrench with a side-to-side motion to remove these; in no time they were gone. I however kept them for latter use.

img20120122173107.jpg

Next Step was to install the Hard Drives, this was a fairly easy and straight forward process. I used 4 Screws in each HDD to lock them in place. I would however not fully screw them in only about half way for each screw. Then slide the into the HDD tray, this worked very well and they were locked in place very securely.

img20120122173046.jpg

After installing the HDD’s I then installed the DVD Burner this was also a very easy process as the screw holes fitted the DVD Drive perfectly. I simply screwed the Drive in with the screws that came with the drive. The screw holes are pre-existing as apple uses the same 5.25 DVD Drives found in all desktops.

img20120122173028.jpg

Before I could place the motherboard into the case, I had to cut out the old back plate, as obviously the USB, HDMI ports etc. did not match. Many other people who had attempted a G5 Case mod had used hacksaws and drills. I didn’t have access to any of this so instead I came up with a really great workaround one with better results. Surrounding the whole case is hundreds of holes, so I took this to my advantage; they surrounded the back plate as well. Using a pair of pliers I cut the aluminium between every single hole. There were hundreds but in the end (20 minutes of work) I had a very cleanly removed backplate.

p1010943m.jpg
diagonal-cutting-pliers.jpg

From here on out was the hard part, mounting the motherboard was not going to be easy without anything pre-existing plate to mount it on. After scavenging the interwebs however, I found a very interesting guide on another G5 Case mod. (Link=http://arrifana.org/blog/2011/12/g5kintosh-2/) He had simply used the metal prods used to mount the official Apple motherboard but had repositioned them to fit the ATX motherboard. Then he used an adhesive (epoxy) to stick the prods in place and hold the motherboard. I basically used the same process he had used.

img20120122173058.jpg

To make sure the motherboard was aligned I slotted in my Graphics Card first and locked it to the case. Then I used a pen to mark where the metal prods were before applying the epoxy on the case. I left it over night and in the morning the motherboard was locked tightly in place.

img20120122173103.jpg

Next step was to insert the PSU, I decided I didn’t really mind if it didn’t look the same as apples as I did not plan on ever opening it to show others. With the Micro ATX Board taking little space I placed the PSU at the Bottom near the front. Although to stop vibrations I lifted it of the bottom of the case again using the little metal prods. These where once again kept in place with epoxy. After over night drying the PSU was also locked tightly in place.

img20120122173125.jpg

By now I had all the major parts in place (I didn’t mention Ram + CPU but that is fairly self-explanatory. Now was time for the wiring.

I started by connecting the Sata connectors from the DVD Drive & HDD’s to the motherboard. They were both easy enough as the DVD drive had a hole right next to it, which I could route the wires through while I had to squeeze the Sata cables through the side of the case to reach the HDD’s. After that I connected all the connections from the PSU. This was fairly straightforward, wiring wasn’t clean at the best of times but it didn’t really matter.

The front panel was the biggest pain of the whole project. In an attempt to remove it I broke the power button. So I decided that I would just leave it there as is, luckily I found an adapter on eBay for ATX motherboards. This allowed me to use the front panel, but as I had broken the power button I used an generic switch instead of the official one. When you turn on a computer all you do is complete a circuit so any switch will do. Personally I think the black switch I used is actually better than the one that comes with the case.

img20120122173324.jpg

After connecting the cords, which was fairly straightforward, both the USB and AUX ports worked. Sadly my motherboard didn’t have a firewire port so I gave that a miss.

img20120122173319.jpg

First Boot & Trouble Shooting

Unsurprisingly after turning the computer on everything worked flawlessly. Although the DVD drive would not open it was slightly to low. So I put some washers between the Drive and screws. That worked well and the drive then opened. Finally satisfied with my build I cleaned up the wiring slightly and closed it all up.

img20120122173009.jpg

I was finished.

img20120120003736.jpg

I haven’t detailed any of the install or software but there are many other tutorials detailing that. Hopefully this might give some users who attempt a G5 Build some ideas or at least help somewhat.

P.S Feedback is much appreciated – Please inform me of anything that is missing or need revising as well…

Thank You for Reading! :headbang:

Credits-
TonyMac
Macman
Celso Martinho

^Extra Credit for some images

Check out the g5 modding thread in customization area. It has all you would ever need to know about g5 cases mods.

Yes I have looked at that thread I'm just posting some helpful hints and my experience... :)

Any chance you could show us the rear panel with the cut out? It's a simple solution just cutting it with pliers.

Did you just use normal hdd screws? Or the apple rounded ones?

Great mod though.

Yea sure no problem I didn't know if people were going to be interested, with all the other tutorials, so I haven't detailed to well but sure I'll edit it with cut out and also I used the screws that came with HDD but any will do.

did you have the original screws in the dvd drive?

on my screws if you just back them out a little bit it adjusts the height of the unit so it will work properly, your should be the same but not sure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back