Contribute
Register

Cube survives after 12 hours with no CPU fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte A520i AC
CPU
Ryzen 7 4700G
Graphics
Radeon Vega 8
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. eMac
  2. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Phew!.

Screen Shot 2022-05-19 at 10.13.15 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-05-19 at 10.13.45 AM.png

CPUs can safely get a lot hotter than 55C and not incur any damage from it. I know, you've had traumatic hack cooling issues in the past, but this is nothing to be worried about.

CPUs can safely get a lot hotter than 55C and not incur any damage from it. I know, you've had traumatic hack cooling issues in the past, but this is nothing to be worried about.
That makes me feel so much better!. I removed the top to check a motherboard USB2 header, do they come in different sizes?. I replaced the top but the R53SR had sat on the cpu fan, fortunately I was away from the Cube so it just fell asleep. I noticed this morning!.

I think there's general misunderstanding about temps and failure. Heat must be properly managed, and lots of aspects of computer system work together to achieve this.

A CPU can run 90+C no problem. 100C is the upperbound for normal operation, with self-protective limits kicking in. 105C on die is where Intel draws the line for failsafe.

When overclocking, upperbound temps may cause system instability.

The temperature of boiling water certainly burns skin, but is not hot for refined sand, and other materials in system construction are chosen accordingly. System boards are created by immersing them in molten solder.

There's always been an generally inappropriate verging on OCD level of concern about heat and hard-drives. Heat within operational tolerances is not a problematic factor for hard drive longevity. But there are still good reasons for wanting cool gear. But the reasons may not be intuitive. Todays flash drives have better data retention when written at temperatures you would not want to touch than when written at room temperature.

The problem with running CPU at high temps is you don't have much headroom. If you have a system that's chugging along at 90C in a normal room, then a heatwave comes along and your AC can't keep up, that system is going to become unreliable.

But it's not going to catch on fire or be ruined.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back