HD3000
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Other
I am looking to buy an SSD for my iMac (yes, along with my hackintosh server I also have an iMac). I am looking at the Crucial M4 256GB for about $179 or the Sandisk Extreme 240GB for about $171. The question is which provides better performance, as I see in many reviews that show one better than the other depending on the test. Also, my understanding is that the Sandisk Extreme is still having some issues with garbage collection over time and that this really affects performance. Not sure if this issue affects Macs and Hacks as well.

Thanks.

Thanks. Great information!!!!

On the down side, I should have found this with a search.......

I just bought the Sandisk Extreme 240GB. Basically based on the fact that it's the cheapest 240GB SSD here. Reviews are quite favourable. It uses Toggle Nand, not that I know the advantages of that over async or sync nand. I considered the Crucial m4 too along with the Kingston HyperX 3k and the Intel 520. The latter two were priced quite a bit higher here.

As for the TRIM problem, Sandisk just released a new firmware which I think solves it.

I would prefer the Crucial ssd, I have both the m4 and the extreme ssds and both work well, no problems. I just like the name and reliability of Crucial Better. (made my Micron, who also makes Lexar products, the only card you will find in my DSLR)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back