GTX 560 Phantom
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
So,
I finally managed to get my first dual boot system running, event though I needed a hybrid mbr.

I have 3 drives:
1 SSD (gpt:macboot,mac,(hybridmbr:windows))
2 HDDs (mbr: mostly ntfs)

But for saving files there is only one working solution so far. Fat32 -.-
When I write to NTFS drives from mac with paragon or tuxera those folders aren't visible until I use chkdsk on the volume and then they appear. Thats just not feasible with a 1TB+ HDD.
ExFat has the same problems. When I format one hdd partition as hfs+ journaled, case sensitive it does not show the files under windows although i have Paragon hfs+ installed. Reading files from my mac main drive is no problem.
Is there a problem with mac on a gpt disk and writing to mbr ones or is there a problem with windows inside a hybrid mbr and reading from mbr disks?

I can't see a true pattern here :problem:

I have about 7 data HDDs in my system - all NTFS, all 2 or 3 tb drives. They all work as expected with either Paragon NTFS or Tuxera. Are you running SMARTReporter? You might have a drive that is failing. Tuxera is slower than Paragon but at least spotlight works with it. I couldn't get spotlight to work with Paragon. Did you try changing SATA ports? If you have marvel and Intel ports, try switching them around for the HDDs.

I do have 8 sata ports but when i attach a drive to one of the two yellow ones it is nowhere recognized.
Switching sata ports does not seem to help either. I can't figure out what the difference ist between the two colours since there is no manual for my board. Old company dies=no support kinda thing.

Interesting piece of trivia, when I write to an ntfs formatted external drive it works like a charm. Might there be a problem with my sata drivers? I remember reading something in multibeast about sata but I don't remember what I installed.
On the other hand my boot drive seems to be working fine as long a I restrain from writing to my other partitions.

Edit:
I assume there is one problem. Mac has it's own indexing solution instead of updating the disks file index. Thats why i worked for fat32 i assume. But it baffles me that neither NTFS via extra software nor exFat natively works on my system.
also my disks are fine, just checked that.

What hardware DO you have?

SATA ports have two main flavors 3 Gbps and 6 Gbps, those are usually made in different colors. Also, sometime MB vendors have different hardware controllers for different physical ports. My Gigabyte board contains SATA ports from both Intel and Marvel.

USB does the same thing, with the Blue USB ports being USB 3.0

Oh, I thought I mentioned it. My mainboard is a DFI Lanparty UT X58 T3EH8.
I managed to find out that both colors are Sata 3GBp/s although the 2 yellow ones don't even get recognized. Atleast since I do now run in AHCI.
I THINK that they worked in IDE mode but I can't vouch for it.
To save you from searching here would be an image of my mobo: click.

There must be a difference between writing to Sata drives and usb drives, since one messes up on either windows or mac and the other one doesn't. I verified that with other windows machines.

Your board has two different controllers:

sp-1.png
Intel ICH10R chip
- Intel Matrix Storage technology
- Supports up to 6 SATA devices
- SATA speed up to 3Gb/s
- RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 0+1 and RAID 5

sp-1.png
JMicron JMB363 PCI Express to SATA and PATA host controller
- Supports up to 2 UltraDMA 100Mbps IDE devices
- Supports 2 SATA devices
- SATA speed up to 3Gb/s
- RAID 0 and RAID 1

I suggest that you boot into Windows and update every chipset driver you can download. Once you get them working in Windows - some of those "stick" in OSX.

According to "http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/15582-dfi-lanparty-ut-x58-t3eh8-lga-1366-motherboard-review.html" the DFI website sucks, "The DFI LanParty web site may not always be the fastest and it may be slightly un-intuitive to navigate,..." And I can attest to that.

Funny that you mention that the dfi website sucks. I can hardly see past the normal http 500 error ^^
But using google I did find a page for my drivers, silly me didn't look for those since I assumed they had the same fate as my manual.
I'll go and test that on tuesday since I am on vacation :D

Thanks for the tip :thumbup:

Sadly that didn't help. I still have to repair my disk everytime I boot it up in windows.
I updated the ich10R but not the jmb363 since it's not enabled. It can run in either "native ide" or "raid + ide" which both sound rather useless. One thing struck me though. When i reformatted a drive in os x with ntfs and put something on it it boots up fine in windows. Booting back to os X and putting again files onto it corrupts them for windows. Also windows doesn't update the drive layout after formatting them with an ubuntu live system but that is another issue. I have the feeling an external drive seems to be the smartest idea if I have files to acces from both systems -.-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back