Graphics
RX 6900 XT
Mac
  1. iMac
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
pdt_21712.4.jpgCreative has announced a new high performance portable 5.1 sound card called the Sound Blaster Omni Surround 5.1 which is an external USB audio solution and it sits on your desktop via a USB cable.

It works on Mac or PC so it offers an added audio solution for both OS. It is powered by SBX Pro Studio technology and has a built-in amplifier which allows you to record audio and also connect to a 5.1 surround sound speaker setup. It is another great alternative to VIA audio if it’s not working correctly on your CustoMac as it allows you to expand audio capabilities with its built-in features.

You need to be on at least OS X 10.6 or Windows Vista, 7, or 8 and comes with a software suite for audio and playback control. It should be available soon at around $109 (USD).

Source:
http://sg.creative.com/p/sound-blaster/sound-blaster-omni-surround-5-1

I am planning to buy this external card for my CutomMac, would you please tell me what is the disadvantages of this card when using it with CustoMac.

I need to get 5.1 to my A/V receiver through the optical output and Dolby Digital is this card will help me?

I am planning to buy this external card for my CutomMac, would you please tell me what is the disadvantages of this card when using it with CustoMac.

I need to get 5.1 to my A/V receiver through the optical output and Dolby Digital is this card will help me?

If that's all you're going to be doing, you'd be better off just using optical output on your motherboard. Getting a USB sound card just for optical output isn't needed; there'll be no difference in quality either since it's just digital.

The main reason you'd buy this is if you need good analog 5.1 output or the extra I/O features it provides.

yes, thats why i wanna get this card, optical output is 2 channel, I need to get 5.1 output to the A/V receiver.
Two encoded digital channels equals 6 decoded channels; that is what the receiver does. The receiver does not care whether the signal is from the motherboard or an add on USB device as both signals are the same. Research on the topic could be very useful.

Optical output from your motherboard would support 5.1 audio. If your onboard audio works, then it'd be a waste to get the Omni USB.

Creative has announced a new high performance portable 5.1 sound card called the Sound Blaster Omni Surround 5.1 which is an external USB audio solution and it sits on your desktop via a USB cable.
Omni Surround 5.1 confirmed working with OS X 10.9.2/10.9.3:
1. USB to SPDIF/encoded digital audio (DD/DTS/5.1) with Plex/XBMC
2. USB to 5.1 analog speakers (DD/DTS) with Plex/XMBC/VLC

onboard optical output makes the 5.1 speakers (left & right channels) works but no surrounding,
If your profile is correct, 889 onboard supports encoded digital audio (5.1 surround). See Posts #5 and #6.

I have 5.1 working speakers but in Audio midi setup configured as Stereo and this didn't help me to get 5.1 surrounding to work, but sound comes only from 2 channels only left + right, when I use plex or VLC sound surrounded through 2.1 channels only not 5.1.
I am trying using .mkv files which have 6 channels audio encoding and detecting in VLC media file information, but the output is 2.1 from speakers thought he receiver.

Also, I can't create aggregate device through optical output.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back