Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus Z97-WS
CPU
i7-4790K
Graphics
GTX 1060
Just wondering what native methods that can be done to create digital backups of OS X Snow Leopard. I recently bought the discs from Apple's websites and need to make backups of the discs because they are fragile. My method of going about doing this was to use Disk Utility as follows in the steps below, but I'm not sure if this is the correct way of doing this. Please help.

1. Open Disk Utility
2. Select the disk that you want to save as an ISO file
3. Go to File
4. New Image
5. New Image from "" (This being the disk in the string)
6. Set the format as "DVD/CD master"
7. Set the encryption as “none”
8. Set a name for the file and select the save button.
9. Once finished, rename the file to change the extension type from ".cdr" to ".iso".
10. When prompted, select the "Use .iso" option.

Just wondering what native methods that can be done to create digital backups of OS X Snow Leopard. I recently bought the discs from Apple's websites and need to make backups of the discs because they are fragile. My method of going about doing this was to use Disk Utility as follows in the steps below, but I'm not sure if this is the correct way of doing this. Please help.

1. Open Disk Utility
2. Select the disk that you want to save as an ISO file
3. Go to File
4. New Image
5. New Image from "" (This being the disk in the string)
6. Set the format as "DVD/CD master"
7. Set the encryption as “none”
8. Set a name for the file and select the save button.
9. Once finished, rename the file to change the extension type from ".cdr" to ".iso".
10. When prompted, select the "Use .iso" option.
That looks like the right way to make a CD image to me. I'm not sure why you're renaming from .cdr to .iso. After step 8, you have a backup.

If you're burning that to optical media for long-term storage, I'd suggest you reconsider. Burnable optical media will be more fragile than the original pressed media, and both may be less reliable than redundant copies of an archive on cheap magnetic media.

That looks like the right way to make a CD image to me. I'm not sure why you're renaming from .cdr to .iso. After step 8, you have a backup.

If you're burning that to optical media for long-term storage, I'd suggest you reconsider. Burnable optical media will be more fragile than the original pressed media, and both may be less reliable than redundant copies of an archive on cheap magnetic media.
My only question for doing proper backups is the right disk to select in Disk Utility. I remember Yosemite giving like 3 options and I've seen people select different ones. I just want to make a solid backup of the disc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back