Not open for further replies.
Yes, I just checked it
speedstep work with
<key>SMproductname</key>
<string>MacPro4,1</string>
and
<key>SMfamily</key>
<string>MacPro</string>

The speedstep information is taken straight from the SSDT tables of your motherboard
if you'll use DropSSDT=yes in bootloader you won't have SpeedStep

Thank You. Sounds like no hybrid needed and it is not such a project after all!

I will do the simple edits to include the SMcputype for the 860 and 750, so that it is one less thing for folks to edit for Multibeast if folks think that is worth while...

Have a Mac Pro4,1-i7-860 and Mac Pro4,1-i5-750 smbios.plist for Multibeast?

Alright, I switched to the MacP4o4,1 smbios.plist from gigabeast with the SMcputype info in there...One thing I noticed is that my idle temps are ~ 10c higher than I had with the imac11,1 smbios.plist, but max temps are the same. I will work to confirm this, but that would imply that the speedstep could be different. Anyone seeing this behavior or did it just got hotter in the room here! :)

<key>SMbiosdate</key>
<string>11/06/2009</string>
<key>SMbiosvendor</key>
<string>Apple Inc.</string>
<key>SMbiosversion</key>
<string>MP41.88Z.0081.B04.0903051113</string>
<key>SMboardmanufacturer</key>
<string>Apple Computer, Inc.</string>
<key>SMboardproduct</key>
<string>Mac-F221BEC8</string>
<key>SMbusspeed</key>
<string>5760</string> //change to your processor interconnect speed (cosmetic)
<key>SMfamily</key>
<string>MacPro</string>
<key>SMmanufacturer</key>
<key>SMproductname</key>
<key>SMsystemversion</key>
<string>1.0</string>
<key>SMcputype</key>
<string>1537</string>

Here is mine for the 860...clearly change the name to smbios.plist...

The temperature change is reproducible. With the macpro4.1 I run ~ 6-8 degrees C higher than with the imac11,1 settings. Interesting. I would like to see what the difference is with MSR tools etc. Are other folks seeing this change going back and forth as well?

OC I am currently (warm room) ~ 38-40C at idle with the imac11,1 and ~ 45-49 with the macpro4,1 smbios.plist...To me this suggests they have different steppings...unless there is another variable...

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>SMbiosvendor</key>
<key>SMcputype</key>
<string>1793</string>
<key>SMbiosversion</key>
<string>MP41.88Z.0081.B07.0903051113</string>
<key>SMboardmanufacturer</key>
<string>Apple Computer, Inc.</string>
<key>SMboardproduct</key>
<string>Mac-F221BEC8</string>
<key>SMfamily</key>
<string>MacPro</string>
<key>SMmanufacturer</key>
<key>SMproductname</key>
<key>SMserial</key>
<string>W87234JHYA4</string>
<key>SMsystemversion</key>
<string>1.0</string>
<key>SMUUID</key>
<string>C0CE2600-93D7-3B41-843A-4D7C8E2C12E2</string>
</dict>
</plist>

Attachments

• smbios_Mac_Pro4,1.plist
    827 bytes · Views: 259
it seems like speedstep doesn't really work with macpro 4,1 for you...
I see no difference with both configs on my system

winstonace said:
it seems like speedstep doesn't really work with macpro 4,1 for you...
I see no difference with both configs on my system

Hello, I checked last night that the imac11,1 version does speedstep, although MSR tools is a little weird, not sure it really gives the second by second.

I will check the other one today. What is your hardware, mind putting the basics in your sig?

Anyone else tried this? The Mac Pro 4,1 does give me crackle free audio, but Imac 11,1 gives me speedstep, so right now I go with speed step. At some point I may use the 4,1 and the DSDT edits, but for now it is OK.

I have P55A-UD4P with i5 750 with overclock and turbo enabled

Yes, with MSR tools, the MacPro4,1 smbios.plist does not show any speedstepping for me...

It does with the Imac11,1 smbios.plist. Both are with no additional DSDT edits...

It is peculiar to me that it would behave differently to yours. What DSDT are you using? Any ideas?

I'm using my own modded dsdt without speesstep modifications.
do you see the turbo and powermanagment initialise when you boot in verbose mode?

winstonace said:
I'm using my own modded dsdt without speesstep modifications.
do you see the turbo and powermanagment initialise when you boot in verbose mode?

Thank You. I have a new DSDT now that lnx2mac made for the P55m-UD4, may have been an error (or two versions of board) but the DSDT in the database was based on a different clean DSDT than what my board has. I will try again. I did find a custom kext from Timg that seems to eliminate the popping even with imac11,1, but it would be cool to see if the MacPro4,1 smbios.plist works now.

Update:

Speedstep appears to work fine, appears to load with turbo in boot messages...In other words, Winstonace appears to be correct, Speedstep works with either smbios.plist if your DSDT is setup correctly.

Imac11,1 smbios.plist NOT necessary for speedstep without DSDT edits for core i7 860, but you do need some identifier there to get speedstep, like the MacPro listings as above.

Others please confirm...

Curious what the difference actually are in terms of performance and power management...Any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back