Graphics
AMD HD6870
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi All, I am wondering what the "create a restore point" equivalent is in OSX?
The reason is that fiddling around with various aspects of the SB OSX install results in messing up of my install, eg installing the trim activator or sleep kext. I am then finding the only way to repair is a long reinstall. Is there a way to "roll back" to pre change on a mac? (Considering large chunks on win is pinched from osx i would expect so)?
Alternatly do I partition and test on a second install but then how do I choose the partition on boot?
Appreciate your advice

I'm new at this too, but I think Time Machine can restore the system, not just data (files).

so the million dollar question is, does time machine catch all the system "adjustments" made to get a hackintosh up and working eg the bootloader etc? Has anyone tested this?

netsullivc said:
Hi All, I am wondering what the "create a restore point" equivalent is in OSX?
The reason is that fiddling around with various aspects of the SB OSX install results in messing up of my install, eg installing the trim activator or sleep kext. I am then finding the only way to repair is a long reinstall. Is there a way to "roll back" to pre change on a mac? (Considering large chunks on win is pinched from osx i would expect so)?
Alternatly do I partition and test on a second install but then how do I choose the partition on boot?
Appreciate your advice

This is how mine is setup, not trying to say it's the only way to do it but it works for me:

Just get another HDD, install it, format it (Mac OS Extended (Journaled), download carbon copy cloner (CCC).

Now run CCC and setup it up to copy your drive. I call my main drive Mac Pro I and the second drive Mac Pro II (this is the clone).

Than when you boot you can hit any key during the chameleon boot count down and select the clone (mac pro II in my setup) and boot to it. This way you can go crazy on the clone and test whatever you want...

If you mess up the clone, just re-run CCC and fix the clone. I do ALL my testing on the clone.

As far as Time machine goes. I use a 1 TB external and run that too, daily. The thing time machine backup is to me just a redundant backup (wife would be pissed if I lost 9500+ photos and videos etc.. lol). I never tried to restore from it or rely mainly on it. It's just an extra layer of protection.

There's a couple of threads about Time Machine in a hack, short answer: it works just fine. It will keep a backup of your whole system updated and ready for you to restore anytime booting the snow leopard DVD (for the whole system restore). Only thing you have to remember is to reinstall a bootloader as it's not backed up, obviously ;)
In fact, I've just restored my system as I was messing with it and felt it unstable lately.
Have fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back