Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 7
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Hi everyone.
System ist running pretty great, thanks to this awesome Form thank you!
I have one problem I don't understand. The Mojave System runs perfectly stable if I just boot into Mac Os after freshly switching on the Machine.

If I however boot into Windows 10 first and then reboot without switching the Computer off I experience crashes with immediate reboot und Kernel panic.
Not really sure whats happening. I think it might have started after fiddling around with Gigabytes Easy tune software in Windows, that ist uninstalled already..
Any Ideas? Thank you so much!
Cheers Fleisch

If I however boot into Windows 10 first and then reboot without switching the Computer off I experience crashes with immediate reboot und Kernel panic.
Not really sure whats happening. I think it might have started after fiddling around with Gigabytes Easy tune software in Windows, that ist uninstalled already..

@fleisch,

I've seen something similar with my HP Spectre Laptop X360 ....

It seems to be related to some motherboards/BIOS's not completely resetting all of the CPU MSR registers on a warm boot, unfortunately there is not much you can do about it as you can write to the MSR Registers via a SSDT/ACPI Code.

I reported the issue to the Clover Devs who could potentially add code to Clover to reset all the CPU MSR registers before loading MacOS but I believe its been put on the to-do-list as a low priority.

All you can do is do what I do, which is to shutdown the PC in Windows then cold boot in to MacOS.

Cheers
Jay

@fleisch,

I've seen something similar with my HP Spectre Laptop X360 ....

It seems to be related to some motherboards/BIOS's not completely resetting all of the CPU MSR registers on a warm boot, unfortunately there is not much you can do about it as you can write to the MSR Registers via a SSDT/ACPI Code.

I reported the issue to the Clover Devs who could potentially add code to Clover to reset all the CPU MSR registers before loading MacOS but I believe its been put on the to-do-list as a low priority.

All you can do is do what I do, which is to shutdown the PC in Windows then cold boot in to MacOS.

Cheers
Jay
Thank you!
Seems like that is what I will be doing. Unless someone has a better Solution? Do you think it has anything to do with the overclocking software at all?

Seems like that is what I will be doing. Unless someone has a better Solution? Do you think it has anything to do with the overclocking software at all?

@fleisch,

Nope nothing to do with your overclock (My HP laptop is not Overclocked) ... The CPU MSR issue has been reported and confirmed by others on this and other forums.

The only thing that can fix the issue is if a future BIOS addresses the issue or Clover eventually gets a MSR Reset feature.

Cheers
Jay

The same thing happens to me. Mojave crashes on the first attempt, then boots properly, the second time. I found that if you open the bios, then save it without making any changes, my system doesn't crash.

Thanks for the insight!
Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back