Motherboard
Dell XPS 9700 4K (OpenCore)
CPU
i7-10875H
Graphics
UHD 630, 3840x2400
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Could someone try to explain CPUFriend to me? I kinda don't understand how to modify the "speed curve" with it, so to speak. My CPU often clocks at around 2GHz, even when it's unneccesary - like in idle. On windows, this would then hover at around 800MHz. I've tried to create the proper CPUFriendFriend data provider, but no luck so far...

Could someone try to explain CPUFriend to me? I kinda don't understand how to modify the "speed curve" with it, so to speak. My CPU often clocks at around 2GHz, even when it's unneccesary - like in idle. On windows, this would then hover at around 800MHz. I've tried to create the proper CPUFriendFriend data provider, but no luck so far...
I just used one-key-cpufriend and it worked fine. I chose 800mhz as the low frequency mode and Balance power as the energy preference. I might even give max power saving a go, but that depends on the use case.

If i leave it idle it kinda jumps between 0.8 and 1.5 but that's dependent on background tasks. I know there was some settings in ThrottleStop where you can set how fast it will clock up, I forgot how it was called Maybe there is something like that for CPUFriend. The settings then was a number between 0 and 128 or something.

Edit: Had a look, it's EPP and that's what choosing a power plan in onekeycpufriend essentially does. Lower number = more performance, higher number = more conservative clocks as far as I understand.

Last edited:
I just used one-key-cpufriend and it worked fine. I chose 800mhz as the low frequency mode and Balance power as the energy preference. I might even give max power saving a go, but that depends on the use case.

If i leave it idle it kinda jumps between 0.8 and 1.5 but that's dependent on background tasks. I know there was some settings in ThrottleStop where you can set how fast it will clock up, I forgot how it was called Maybe there is something like that for CPUFriend. The settings then was a number between 0 and 128 or something.

Edit: Had a look, it's EPP and that's what choosing a power plan in onekeycpufriend essentially does. Lower number = more performance, higher number = more conservative clocks as far as I understand.

I used this script now, still not really operating how I'd like it to... :/ At idle it hovers at around 1.5GHz with the tendency to clock higher than that. It's really sad, because as I've already stated, even Windows manages the CPU better. Also, I could re-enable turbo for power bursts on application launches f.e., which I can't really do now, since it'll clock even worse then.

Screenshot 2020-06-11 at 01.00.27.png

This is how I configured it:

Screenshot 2020-06-11 at 01.02.42.png

I used this script now, still not really operating how I'd like it to... :/ At idle it hovers at around 1.5GHz with the tendency to clock higher than that. It's really sad, because as I've already stated, even Windows manages the CPU better. Also, I could re-enable turbo for power bursts on application launches f.e., which I can't really do now, since it'll clock even worse then.

View attachment 475342
This is how I configured it:

View attachment 475343
Hmm your temps are also a little high, which indicates to me that your machine is doing something. I have chrome with a lot of tabs open, iina playing a h265 video and my cpu is at 44C and my clocks are hovering around 1ghz (0.9 - 1.5ghz). I'm also still using the balance power plan.

Have a look at activity monitor, maybe some app is doing something in the background. It can also be sometimes that the kernel task or spotlight does stuff in the background.

Are you sure that Max Power Saving disables turbo boost? Or did you disable it with voltageshift?

@takki

After some time it just stays at 45-46deg when I'm not putting too much workload on it, but still clocks too high. My activity monitor's CPU section looks like this:

Screenshot 2020-06-11 at 01.33.30.png

As far as I can tell there is not much going on, right? Turbo is disabled using voltageshift.

Screenshot 2020-06-11 at 01.34.51.png

@takki

After some time it just stays at 45-46deg when I'm not putting too much workload on it, but still clocks too high. My activity monitor's CPU section looks like this:

View attachment 475345
As far as I can tell there is not much going on, right? Turbo is disabled using voltageshift.

View attachment 475346
Hm you're right, it doesn't look like there's anything going on. You used the generated CPUFriend.kext and CPUFriendDataProvider.kext from your desktop, right? You could try the Balance Power profile too, that's what I'm using at the moment. Maybe the max battery life thing is just buggy.

I had a look at the power management guide here and now I'm in doubt about my own config lol. My ioreg looks more like the one on the right, with the missing XCPM. But it does have the right plugin-type 0x1. Also they recommend using a different tool to generate the kexts: https://github.com/corpnewt/CPUFriendFriend

@takki

I used friendfriend before too, that just takes more parameters that end up being all repetetive anyways, lol. For me the XCPM entry seems to be OK, you didn't search for anything, right? If you filter for for AppleACPICPU, the XCPM entry won't show up.

This whole PM business is just a big struggle for me, so annoying... I will try out the balance profile tomorrow, thank you for the suggestion! :)

Screenshot 2020-06-11 at 02.11.15.png

@takki

I used friendfriend before too, that just takes more parameters that end up being all repetetive anyways, lol. For me the XCPM entry seems to be OK, you didn't search for anything, right? If you filter for for AppleACPICPU, the XCPM entry won't show up.

This whole PM business is just a big struggle for me, so annoying... I will try out the balance profile tomorrow, thank you for the suggestion! :)

View attachment 475352
You're right I didn't clear the search field :crazy:

My output is identical to yours, hmm. Not sure what to do from here honestly. I'll try the max battery mode on my machine, I've been meaning to do that anyway.

You're right I didn't clear the search field :crazy:

My output is identical to yours, hmm. Not sure what to do from here honestly. I'll try the max battery mode on my machine, I've been meaning to do that anyway.
and i have given you your own thread for your CPU issues

try and stay on topic please :)

Mine still works with with max battery, hope you got yours working. I'm getting a good 5 - 6 hours now, which is fine. Depends on what I do of course. Other than using Safari instead of Chrome there isn't much that could be done to increase battery life and I just can't stand Safari :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back