Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
P6X58D-E
CPU
X5650 @ 4.1 Ghz
Graphics
1060 3GB
Any ideas how to reduce CPU power usage when idle? My specs: Sierra, p6x58d-e, oc'ed intel x5650. The difference between Win10 and my hackintosh is 40 watts.

I tried selecting MacPro5,1 profile, enabling P and C states in config.plist, using dsdt.aml for my MB. Any ideas?

Also any ideas how to disable Sleep button? It seems previous methods don't work in Sierra.

Last edited:
Any ideas how to reduce CPU power usage when idle? My specs: Sierra, p6x58d-e, oc'ed intel x5650. The difference between Win10 and my hackintosh is 40 watts.

I tried selecting MacPro5,1 profile, enabling P and C states in config.plist, using dsdt.aml for my MB. Any ideas?

Also any ideas how to disable Sleep button? It seems previous methods don't work in Sierra.

As your using a Xeon X5650 CPU. Native CPU Powermanagement might be a issue. But you will need to create a Custom SSDT for certain Power States. Take a look at https://github.com/Piker-Alpha/ssdtPRGen.sh

I generated ssdt.aml, put it into ACPI/patched folder, but my watt-o-meter still shows the same watts. Are there any other steps? The bios variables are the same in Windows and in macOS.

Here's what I did. I used the "user defined.cfg" and inserted:
X5650,95,2457,4095,4095,6,12,4,205
Then ./ssdtPRGen.sh -p X5650, it showed a remark, but generated the aml:
/Users/username/Library/ssdtPRGen/ssdt.dsl 56: Name (APSS, Package (0x1A)
Remark 2063 - Initializer list shorter than declared package length ^
Compilation complete. 0 Errors, 0 Warnings, 1 Remarks, 0 Optimizations

I generated ssdt.aml, put it into ACPI/patched folder, but my watt-o-meter still shows the same watts. Are there any other steps? The bios variables are the same in Windows and in macOS.

Here's what I did. I used the "user defined.cfg" and inserted:
X5650,95,2457,4095,4095,6,12,4,205
Then ./ssdtPRGen.sh -p X5650, it showed a remark, but generated the aml:
/Users/username/Library/ssdtPRGen/ssdt.dsl 56: Name (APSS, Package (0x1A)
Remark 2063 - Initializer list shorter than declared package length ^
Compilation complete. 0 Errors, 0 Warnings, 1 Remarks, 0 Optimizations

Verify that AppleIntelCPUPowermanagement is loaded in the Kernel Cache. Is AppleLPC loaded? Verify in ioreg. [Guide] How to Make a Copy of IOReg | tonymacx86.com

Thanks for the pointers. Looks like it's working just like in Windows now. Gonna test more. Here's what I did.

AppleLPC wasn't loaded, but the Intel one was. Apparently, the reason AppleLPC wasn't getting loaded was the DSDT I had. So I decided to do it from scratch. Extracted my DSDT in Linux, added DTGP and _DSM methods (name pci8086,3a18), and that got AppleLPC to load and power usage to drop dramatically. In fact, it was lower than in Windows. So I installed HWMonitor. It turns out my CPU was always stuck in low frequency mode (2.5 Ghz in my case; should be jumping to 4.1). What solved this was deleting SSDT.aml from EFI that I got from ssdtgen and changing generate C and P states in clover config to true. So for these old CPUs (pre-Sandy?) ssdtgen probably isn't needed...

Last edited:
Thanks for the pointers. Looks like it's working just like in Windows now. Gonna test more. Here's what I did.

AppleLPC wasn't loaded. The DSDT I had was the problem. Extracted my DSDT in Linux, added DTGP and _DSM methods (name pci8086,3a18), and AppleLPC finally loaded, power usage dropped dramatically. In fact, it was lower than in Windows. So I installed HWMonitor. It turns out my CPU was always stuck in low frequency mode (2.5 Ghz in my case; should be jumping to 4.1). What solved this was deleting SSDT.aml from EFI that I got from ssdtgen and changing generate C and P states in clover config to true. So for these old CPUs ssdtgen (pre-Sandy?) probably isn't needed...

You will probably notice that you only need Generate C and P states in config.plist. Older Hardware such as yours don't require a SSDT for Native Powermanagement. AppleLPC will help of course. I wouldn't say your CPU is Pre-Sandy i think 1366 is Nehalem but don't quite me on that.

Just noticed that I didn't even had to edit DSDT - Clover has AddDTGP_0001 and FakeLPC_0020 fixes, which when enabled, also loaded AppleLPC without DSDT in ACPI/patched.

Hi there, I'm using a Gigabyte EX58 with a Xeon 5670. ssdtPRGen.sh output is attached. I can't verify if AppleLPC is loaded (kextext doesn't show that it is). I used gfxutil to help, but it is unclear (just shows a list of PCI ID's). Cross referenced with LPC Controller in Windows 10, which lists it as PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_3A16&SUBSYS_50011458&REV_00. The only other match in the gfxutil output is "00:1f.0 8086:3a16 /PCI0@0/PX40@1F = PciRoot(0x1)/Pci(0x1F,0x0)\".

Is this the same thing? If it is, presume it is loaded? Trying to interpret the posts above.. but not sure what to do from here..

Just noticed that I didn't even had to edit DSDT - Clover has AddDTGP_0001 and FakeLPC_0020 fixes, which when enabled, also loaded AppleLPC without DSDT in ACPI/patched.

Hi there, I'm using a Gigabyte EX58 with a Xeon 5670. ssdtPRGen.sh output is attached. I can't verify if AppleLPC is loaded (kextext doesn't show that it is). I used gfxutil to help, but it is unclear (just shows a list of PCI ID's). Cross referenced with LPC Controller in Windows 10, which lists it as PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_3A16&SUBSYS_50011458&REV_00. The only other match in the gfxutil output is "00:1f.0 8086:3a16 /PCI0@0/PX40@1F = PciRoot(0x1)/Pci(0x1F,0x0)\".

Is this the same thing? If it is, presume it is loaded? Trying to interpret the posts above.. but not sure what to do from here..

Attachments

• Screen_Shot_2020-05-17_at_19.26.48.png
    Screen_Shot_2020-05-17_at_19.26.48.png
    39.4 KB · Views: 113
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back