2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. Power Mac
  3. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi there!

After my last build (https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...7m-gaming-i3-4330-16gb-hyperx-geforce.181847/ ) I went back to Apple Hardware and used it for two years or so...

At the moment I'm using a 2016 MacBook Pro 15" from my company.
But I'm missing a solid Desktop solution. So I plan to bring my hacki back.
I want to do a build wich fits in the case of my last build. I still have the case, cooling, power supply etc.
For graphics I want to go for a GeForce 1030, due it's passive cooled and capable of 4K.

Know I'm looking for a used CPU and mainboard. I would prefer something wich can use DDR3. Especially prices of ECC RAM are very attractive to me.
So I could imagine a X79 (LGA2011) board and a 4 Core i7 or Xeon combined with 16-32 GB ECC-RAM.

But can a easy build be done with a X79 board? Or should I go for something more mainstream? Any suggestions?

Regards,

MadBlue

you can do an i7 on a z170 mobo with ddr4 without ecc having a golden build. why would you go for ddr3 ECC? the price is +-30$ the same

Hi,

over here in Germany the price difference between 2. or 3. Gen i7 and DDR3 and 6+ Gen i7 and DDR4 is huge...
16GB DDR3-ECC I can geht for about 30-35 USD...

16 GB DDR4 will cost me about 180 USD... price for the CPUs are similar different... so it's a 300 USD build vs. a 800-1000 USD build... :)
I don't want to spend much money for a secondary system...

MadBlue

EDIT:
But in the moment I'm more thinking to use a i7 2600 or something like that...

Last edited:
But can a easy build be done with a X79 board? Or should I go for something more mainstream? Any suggestions?
From what I've seen in the forums a Z77 or Z68 build would be much easier than an X79. If it's going to be for general home use do you really need X79 and ECC ram ? The prices of X79 boards are pretty high at least here in the USA. The ram retired from servers has had heavy 24/7 use so keep that in mind too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back