Contribute
Register

cpu heat sink temperature vs cpu temperature

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know if it's normal for your heatsink to be so hot, but 95F is abolsutely fine for your CPU.

95F does seem ok to me. But I cannot understand why there is such a temperature gradient. Does it mean that the heat sink is doing its job? Or that the fan on top of it isn't? Since the CPU is at the right temperature, then something must be right. But 232F inside the box says something is wrong.... (when placing my hand near the fan/heat sink, nothing feels particularly hot, so maybe it's a false reading from HWMonitor).

How are your CPU temps under load?

Have you tried updating to the latest FakeSMC sensor kexts? They appear to be giving me the correct readings on my system. I use iStat Menus to monitor the sensors.

Thanks for the tips.

Would you provide a link explaining how to do such an update?

I tried Clover Configurator and PlistEditPro in the past but the amount of detail they revealed overwhelmed me. I am not familiar with Mac architecture. Maybe someday….

MultiBeast is more my speed, but when I tried to set up my Hackintosh following the directions, the config.plist was good enough to permit boot, but someone else here on the forum took a look at it, and was so aghast (“does your computer even run”) that he sent me an entirely new config.plist. Very helpful but not much of a learning experience for me ("give a man a fish….but teach a man to fish..." and all that).

"FakeSMC sensor kexts": you mean here?
And then, as I asked above: how do I do the update?
thx

You will find the latest version of the FakeSMC sensor kexts at:
RehabMan / OS-X-FakeSMC-kozlek / Downloads — Bitbucket

Look in your /Library/Extensions/ or in the EFI partition /EFI/CLOVER/kexts to see where your existing versions are located and replace with the latest versions.

If they are in your /Library/Extensions/ folder, use KextBeast to install the latest versions in the same location.

If they are in the EFI partition, just copy and replace the existing kexts.

Can anyone say what the proper differential should be between these two temperatures? My heat sink is at 232 deg F, the cpu is at 95 deg F.
Is this the normal?
cpu is i7-4770

95F is 35C not hot at all. 232F is 111C which is toasty. What is the Operating System reporting? What about the BIOS? Have you inplemented Native CPU Powermaangement?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back