i5-4690K
Graphics
GTX 970
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I've been noticing, after a cold boot, after I enter my password and OS X logs me in that my CPU fan revs up and then normalizes. It's quite audible, although my computer is right next to me. It's probably nothing, but it is something I'm curious about, as it's rather unnecessary. Does anyone know of a program I can use to monitor/log what the system is doing around this time so I can find the source of what's causing my CPU fan to spike during login? It's certainly not a critical issue, but I'd rather it not do that/resolve the issue since there's no real reason why the fan needs to do that.

How long does it last, i get that on my build with Xeon CPU but it literally lasts 2 seconds.

I have the same issue.
Gigabyte Z170X Gaming7, i6700k.
And when I use lightroom to edit some big pictures, I can also hear the fan speed increased for 1 second and low down, and several seconds later happen again, again and again.

I thought it might be the fan management vs CPU loading is too sensitive? The problem for skylake? Or the problem for El Capitan?

The spin-up on login may be your launch agents starting/running (those are tasks that run upon login). For instance, I have one for Nvidia and one for the Java updater in /Library/LaunchAgents. There may be more in other locations too, I'm not sure. I expect you could disable them by removing the plists from that directory, though obviously then your system won't be doing whatever they're supposed to be doing.... (I suspect both the ones in my case are to check for updated software periodically, and they may do it once when they start at login.)

I have the same issue.
Gigabyte Z170X Gaming7, i6700k.
And when I use lightroom to edit some big pictures, I can also hear the fan speed increased for 1 second and low down, and several seconds later happen again, again and again.

I thought it might be the fan management vs CPU loading is too sensitive? The problem for skylake? Or the problem for El Capitan?

I'm wondering if it's an El Capitan thing; I'm running 10.11.3 with a Core i5-4690K (not OC'd). I don't experience this with any Adobe programs. I don't use lightroom. But I do use Premiere Pro CC. Even exporting 1080p video the CPU fan doesn't speed up like that.

The spin-up on login may be your launch agents starting/running (those are tasks that run upon login). For instance, I have one for Nvidia and one for the Java updater in /Library/LaunchAgents. There may be more in other locations too, I'm not sure. I expect you could disable them by removing the plists from that directory, though obviously then your system won't be doing whatever they're supposed to be doing.... (I suspect both the ones in my case are to check for updated software periodically, and they may do it once when they start at login.)

If it's something related to its normal start up procedures or whatever then that's fine - I don't want to mess with something like that. It just seemed odd to me. I've never had a Mac desktop before, so I don't really have anything to compare it to. It's not a fair comparison, but when I cold boot into Windows 10 the fan does not do this. I'm wondering if I can get a program to run during start up that could record CPU usage and fan speed/CPU temp. This is my first build, so forgive me if I'm wrong, but the reason the fan speeds up is too cool the CPU when it gets hot - and it gets hot when it's doing intensive computing - so I just don't understand what intensive processing it could be doing when logging in from a cold boot when the computer is still cold. Also, I'm not really sure what could really make the CPU hot for only a split second that would require the fan to speed up like that.

It's probably nothing. But I was just wondering if there was a way to figure out why it's doing that.

are you sure it's not your GTX ?

not really, you are not logged at that point ..unless you find an app that runs as a service and records CPU/GPU speeds/temps into a log file. Pop the cover and watch it. It does not happen on my Fluffy build but it does happen on my Beasty build that has a GTX 960, Hmmm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back