Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD7 TH
CPU
i7-4790K
Graphics
GT 740
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
The main questions.
1.) Do I need to use thermal grease on this set up or is it all ready applied? its a i7-4790K LGA 1150
2.) If I rotate it does that effect the way it works?

I am having a problem with the cpu cooling fan. I set it in so that the writing was the same way as the mother board. I had some trouble with the plastic push pins to get this in but the cables to run the fan to the mother board are stretched pretty tight. I wanted to know if I should remove it and turn it 90 degress to the right so the lines are not so tight? The black cable is the worst since it is the furthest from the plug. The large oval are in the photo shows the black cable over the edge because that was the only way I could get it to fit. I attached a picture so it makes more sense.
cpu fan cable.jpg

Attachments

• cpu fan cable.pdf
    352.7 KB · Views: 140
The main questions.
1.) Do I need to use thermal grease on this set up or is it all ready applied? its a i7-4790K LGA 1150
2.) If I rotate it does that effect the way it works?

I am having a problem with the cpu cooling fan. I set it in so that the writing was the same way as the mother board. I had some trouble with the plastic push pins to get this in but the cables to run the fan to the mother board are stretched pretty tight. I wanted to know if I should remove it and turn it 90 degress to the right so the lines are not so tight? The black cable is the worst since it is the furthest from the plug. The large oval are in the photo shows the black cable over the edge because that was the only way I could get it to fit. I attached a picture so it makes more sense.
View attachment 153930

Yes, it can be rotated in any position. But if you remove it in order to rotate it, my advice is to completely clean off the existing thermal paste and reapply some new; that stuff isn't made to be reused, and it's likely it won't make good contact to cool your CPU after moving it. Thermal paste is much cheaper than replacing a burned-out CPU!

You can clean the old paste off with isopropyl alcohol, but I would recommend buying a cleaner made for the purpose, like the 2-step remover/surface purifier here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835100010. Also, when you reapply new thermal paste (I swear by Arctic Silver Ceramique 2: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835100017) you only want a thin layer across the entire surface of the chip - not a thick glob in the middle. I usually just put a small amount in the center and spread it across the surface with my finger.

Thank you for replying. First build I thought it already had the paste applied from the factory. I will grab some. I'm still waiting on both drives and the graphics card to come in.

I looked at the thermal paste you recommended and I see that it says thermal Paste &Pad remover. I noticed before I put the fan on that there where three small pads on the fan. Do i need to remove those pads if I am repositioning this. I never put any paste on the processor so if it doesn't come with it then I guess I don't have to clean it off I would just need to apply it. Any help is great appreciated since this is my first ever build. Thanks, Jim Minrod

I looked at the thermal paste you recommended and I see that it says thermal Paste &Pad remover. I noticed before I put the fan on that there where three small pads on the fan. Do i need to remove those pads if I am repositioning this. I never put any paste on the processor so if it doesn't come with it then I guess I don't have to clean it off I would just need to apply it. Any help is great appreciated since this is my first ever build. Thanks, Jim Minrod

The stock fan that came with the processor had a thin layer of paste pre-applied. But you don't want to attempt to reuse that; remove it and apply new paste before you reinstall the fan.

I don't know what "pads" you're referring to; the only thing you need to remove is the gray thermal paste from BOTH the underside of the heatsink and the CPU's surface.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back