Contribute
Register

CPU and RAM frequencies not reporting correctly as of 10.10.3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
<< need manufacturer and model # >> See Forum Rules !!
CPU
Graphics
GTX 980 Ti
Mac
  1. MacBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
For the most part I've had a 100% working build since 10.8.2. I've done every point update and nothing has broken until now. (Well except iMessage, but we know that's a different story)

First my build -
Chimera 4.1.0
Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H (F14 bios)
3770K @ 4.5GHz
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 2GB
32GB 1600MHz RAM OC to 1867MHz
256GB Samsung 840 Pro

In the past I've never had an issue with all of my system stats showing up in HWMonitor or iStat Menus so long as FakeSMC Plugins are installed. My CPU has always reported at the correct frequency under HWMonitor and iStat, and my RAM showed up as the correct frequency in "About this Mac". However as soon as I updated to 10.10.3, this was no longer the case. HWmonitor and iStat show my CPU running at 3.46GHz (stock clock for the 3770K), and "About this Mac" shows my RAM as running at 0 MHz. All my other stats show up fine.

At first I thought maybe my OC got wiped out somehow, so I booted into the bios and they're still there. So I booted up Windows 8.1 to double-check what frequencies it's detecting and it reports them correctly at 4.5GHz for the CPU and 1867MHz for the RAM. So I think my OC is still in tact.

On the surface I think this is just a cosmetic issue, however my concern is that maybe it's not... maybe my CPU is running at 3.5GHz and not 4.5GHz in 10.10.3, which is quite a huge performance difference and more of a legitimate concern. However even if it is just cosmetic I'd still like to uncover the cause of this.

FakeSMC and the 4 FakeSMC plugins are all loaded according to System Information, and they're all running the latest versions (1364). HWMonitor and iStat Menus are also fully updated. Booting with
Chimera 4.1.0.

Is anyone having similar issues? Anyone got any suggestions on where I can start to try to solve this issue?

Thanks guys

edit: So now I have reason to believe this isn't just a cosmetic issue. I just ran Geekbench and I'm only getting 13925 -
http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench2/view/2552061

Previously whenever I ran Geekbench I'd get between 16500 and 17000. So I think my CPU actually is running at stock clocks... ugh

Last edited:
So I was able to fix the 0MHz RAM issue by adding UseMemDetect=no to my org.chameleon.Boot.plist, it's now reporting the correct RAM speed.

However the CPU is still not running at 4.5GHz like it's supposed to, only 3.5GHz. Any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back