Motherboard
ASRock Z490 Phantom Gaming-ITX/TB3
CPU
i7-10700
Graphics
Intel HD 630
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I decided to upgrade my Custo Mac after about 6 years or so. I bought an ASROCK Z490/TB mainboard, an Intel 10700 CPU with 630 graphics, and some memory. My old machine was using Clover to boot, so I'm going to use OC this time around and I plan on installing Ventura.

I've read through the docs and started building my EFI folder and I have a couple questions.

The main board came with a Wi-Fi/Bluetooth card that isn't compatible with Macs, so I bought a BCM94360NG card. From the docs, I'm not quite sure if I still need any kexts associated with the Broadcom, specifically the AirportBrcmFixup and the BrcmPatchRAM3 (which then evidently needs BrcmFirmwareData.kext).

Also, I created a WinPE boot USB that has the USB toolkit program so I can map my USB ports once I have the machine put together. If my understanding is correct, I only need to map the ports that are provided by the MB. If I have say a USB hub plugged into a port, then I don't need to worry about the ports associated with that hub, only the port that the hub is plugged into. Do I have that right?

I decided to upgrade my Custo Mac after about 6 years or so. I bought an ASROCK Z490/TB mainboard, an Intel 10700 CPU with 630 graphics, and some memory. My old machine was using Clover to boot, so I'm going to use OC this time around and I plan on installing Ventura.

I've read through the docs and started building my EFI folder and I have a couple questions.

The main board came with a Wi-Fi/Bluetooth card that isn't compatible with Macs, so I bought a BCM94360NG card. From the docs, I'm not quite sure if I still need any kexts associated with the Broadcom, specifically the AirportBrcmFixup and the BrcmPatchRAM3 (which then evidently needs BrcmFirmwareData.kext).

Also, I created a WinPE boot USB that has the USB toolkit program so I can map my USB ports once I have the machine put together. If my understanding is correct, I only need to map the ports that are provided by the MB. If I have say a USB hub plugged into a port, then I don't need to worry about the ports associated with that hub, only the port that the hub is plugged into. Do I have that right?
your wifi card does not require any kexts

you can setup your usb ports after installation:

Yea, you are right about the USB hub. Only the port it connects to needs to be mapped.

Back