Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. 512K
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Could really use some Speedstep help

Figured out the MSRDumper part, please read second post.

sudo chown -R 0:0 MSRDumper.kext ok, that looks like it worked

sudo kextload MSRDumper.kext not so much.

" /Users/XXXX/MSRDumper.kext failed to load - (libkern/kext) not found; check the system/kernel logs for errors or try kextutil(8). "

on top of that in the console there is no kernel.log and i cant find it in the finder either.

I really want to test this out as i have HWMonitor installed and i have never seen my multiplier go past x16.0
Was i supposed to use i5 SSDT when running MB 5.1?

Thanks

Figured out how to run the MSRDumper thing. Used a different utility to unzip and it started working. But speedstep is not working at all.
I opened multiple apps, games and videos and only have one state.

Oct 18 20:06:53 Mac-Pro kernel[0]: MSRDumper CoreMulti(16)
Oct 18 20:06:53 Mac-Pro kernel[0]: MSRDumper PStatesReached: 16

How do i enable speedstep?

I have a pretty standard build.

You may have picked the wrong SSDT for your processor, in your profile you are said to have a processor that doesn't exist (i5 2600k)

So do you have i7 2600k or an i5 2500k, they are two different speedstep installs.

I have actually not selected any SSDT. (signature was a typo, i actually have a i5-2500k with no overclock)

I hate selecting extra stuff in MB that is not needed and could not find anything that said you need to select a SSDT if you want to enable speedstep if you are using a DSDT from this website. But from what you just said it sounds like i do need a SSDT regardless, correct?

I have never over-clocked but what I assume you are trying to do is take advantage of the turbo capabilities of this chip, for that to happen you do need to use an i5 SSDT I believe. Like I have said I haven't yet over-clocked but plan to when I upgrade and I don't know much about MSRDumper, but in order to have a speed-step work i believe that is what the SSDT's are for, just choose the i5 non over-clocked one.

So i fully understand what happened and why it didnt make sense to me.

Just posting so others might find this.

I never updated past 10.7.2 as i didnt want to mess with my MB settings so i just hung around and waited till 10.8.2 was out. Speedstep was probably working just fine but i never checked before, there was no reason to as everything was running smoothly. So update to 10.8.2 and check my usual MB settings. After that i find that the computer just runs slower than normal and flash videos are slightly choppy at times. I install HWMonitor and find that my CPU appears to be locked at 16x. Finally get MSRDumpster to work and confirm that only 16x is working. Could not find anything saying why this happened when i updated to mountain lion at all. Everything worked perfect in lion! I eventually stumbled on this post

http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2012/05/1074-power-management-and-sandy-bridge.html

It states that 10.7.4 broke the whole power management thing and i5 and i7 users new need the SSDT for speed stepping to work which i should have found out a long time ago but i never updated past 10.7.2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back