Contribute
Register

Costco Dell xps for $1899. Hackintosh compatible?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
HP 8300 MT
CPU
i7-3770
Graphics
HD 4000
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Costco (Spring Savings Flyer) has a decent deal on a Dell XPS Windows 10 tower for $1899 ($300 off).
8th gen intel core i7 processor
64 GB Memory
2 TB Hard drive
256 GB solid state drive
Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 Graphics
Not sure of the MB, probably proprietary..

QUESTION. Any hope of making this a dual boot computer running Windows 10 and High Sierra? I would purchase another M.2 solid state drive to load High Sierra on and use the 2 TB drive for data. If it is too much of a hassle, I will just build from scratch, but this is a good price, especially with 64 GB of memory.
Thanks.
Jim

If you've got that much money to spend, go with the Gigabyte or Asus motherboard of your choice and build around that. I've seen the i7-8700K on sale for as low as 313 USD recently. You won't get the K version or a very good motherboard in the XPS. You can always use igfx until GPU prices come down sometime this year. Would you really ever use more than 32GB of memory anyway ?

I've been interested in these Costco deals as well. It's definitely the cheapest way to get a decent graphics card these days, and keeps the RAM prices reasonable. As for who would need 64GB of RAM, I DO! I use After Effects and it is a RAM hog. Also, my brother does professional music composition and all those samples eat up ram like crazy too. Interesting points about the mobo though, and I'd guess the power supply is rather cheap too.

Build you own prices:
64GB RAM $700
GTX 1060: $379
That's almost $1100 right there.

Anyone with hackintosh information on Dell systems?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back