Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GIGABYTE Z390 M
CPU
i7 9700K
Graphics
UHD630
I need a computer for working with ArchiCAD (and other day to day activities). I've selected a list of parts available at a local store:

GIGABYTE Z390 M LGA 1151 DDR4 2xM.2 6xSATA mATX MB
Intel Core i5-9600K, 6 Cores, 3.7-4.6GHz, 9MB, LGA1151, 14nm, BOX
Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus, 500GB, M.2 PCIe x4, 3500/3200 MB/s
CRUCIAL Ballistix 2x16GB 32GB Kit DDR4 3200MT/s CL16 Unbuffered DIMM 288pin White
SAPPHIRE PULSE Radeon™ RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Backplate
BEQUIET! BG034 be quiet! Pure Base 500, black, ATX, M-ATX, mini-ITX case
BE QUIET SYSTEM POWER 9 500W
BE QUIET Pure Rock Slim cooler

What do you think abut such build?

Main main concerns are:
- Cost effective. I don't want to pay for the things I won't be using (like overclock possibility, or a gazilion of PCI ports)
- As fast as possible. That's why I'd like to get m.2 hard drive and not SATA.
- I'm not sure about graphics card as I do no gaming at all. All I need is that ArchiCAD or possibly other CAD programs would run fine. So maybe this card is overkill and it would be better to get a cheaper one and instead get some more RAM (or faster RAM)?
- Ease of installation and future compatibility. I have another hackintosh on Gigabyte-GA-Z77-DS3H which gave me some problems during the initial setup, but since clover appeared it was a breeze updating between minor versions and mostly easy solvable problems during major upgrades.
- What do you think about the processor? I thought about i7, but those are much more expensive. I'm not sure if they are much faster?

This is an older article from 2018 but will give you an idea of why its better to go with a workstation card instead of a gaming focused card. https://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/knowledgebase/83528/ This doesn't mean you can't use the RX 580 but you may be better off using a supported workstation card instead.

Have a look at the WX 5100 and 7100 cards and see if they will fit into your budget.

Last edited:
This is an older article from 2018 but will give you an idea of why its better to go with a workstation card instead of a gaming focused card. https://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/knowledgebase/83528/ This doesn't mean you can't use the RX 580 but you may be better off using a supported workstation card instead.

Have a look at the WX 5100 and 7100 cards and see if they will fit into your budget.

But are those cards supported by hackintosh? :^)

But are those cards supported by hackintosh? :^)
Yes, along with the WX 4100. I've not used them personally but many others have. Apple provides the drivers right in macOS Catalina. You don't need to install them like you would need Web drivers for the Nvidia cards and High Sierra.

I'm finally ordering my parts. And now I still have some concerns regarding video cards. WX series look quite expensive comparing to gaming cards. Has anybody seen an ytests that WX cards are really better at CAD programs on Mac? I was able to find some info that on windows those work better, but there were comments that on mac there may be no difference. Any info would be very appreciated!

PS. Why Im asking it is because looks like RX580 cards are at least 100€ cheaper.

Last edited:
I'm finally ordering my parts. And now I still have some concerns regarding video cards. WX series look quite expensive comparing to gaming cards. Has anybody seen an ytests that WX cards are really better at CAD programs on Mac? I was able to find some info that on windows those work better, but there were comments that on mac there may be no difference. Any info would be very appreciated!

PS. Why Im asking it is because looks like RX580 cards are at least 100€ cheaper.

I use Revit and Twinmotion, Revit functions in a windows VM and I see very little difference from using Revit in a windows VM vs in windows natively. I have 64 gigs of memory so I can allocate 32 to the VM and 32 to mac OS. I use a Vega 64 everything works great. Since Archicad runs natively on a Mac the Vega 56, Vega 64, Vega VII, all should be plenty for you. The RX 580 also is probably ok but one of the 5000 xt series cards would be far better. I personally chose a vega 64 because I felt that was the closest to the iMac Pro. The difference really between the pro cards and the gaming cards is that the drivers are certified to work with the CAD programs.

If you use Twin Motion for Rendering instead of using Archicad "rendering is so much better in twin motion" it is a game engine and thus the gaming card would work better. Then you are only relying on ArchiCAD for the 2D drawings and model construction. Twin Motion interfaces with ArchiCAD and is Mac Native at least for now. Hopefully Epic and Apple will end their war.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back