Motherboard
Gigabyte Z77-DS3H
CPU
i7-3770
Graphics
GTX 660 Ti
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi, I currently have a GIGABYTE GA-Z77-DS3H rev. 1.0, LGA 1155 with a i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz and am looking to upgrade. I use the computer to edit video (Premiere and FCP X). I can edit 4k (from proxy files) but want a machine that can create the prores files faster and export video faster. It would get great to be able to edit 4k (i.e. GH4) camera files but this may be asking a lot.

I am looking at getting a Core i7-6700K @ 4.0Ghz / Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3-DDR3, is this a significant upgrade and how much faster is it likely to be (I know its a difficult one to answer but no point it doing it if it is not significant).

I am a little confused by what memory I need. The gigabyte site says it used DDR3 but on the Build Guide here it has DDR4 memory. I am also wondering if as a interim measure I can use the memory from the current motherboard. When I do upgrade the memory I am going to go from 16GB to 32GB. I don't need ultra fast/expensive memory, just doubling it will make a HUBE difference. The intense stuff I do tends to be CPU bound so dont think fast memory will help. The Crucial Budget stuff recommended here is around 115 pounds, maybe I need this but a cheaper option would be good.

Anyway all/any advice gratefully revived.

Ben

Hi, I currently have a GIGABYTE GA-Z77-DS3H rev. 1.0, LGA 1155 with a i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz and am looking to upgrade. I use the computer to edit video (Premiere and FCP X). I can edit 4k (from proxy files) but want a machine that can create the prores files faster and export video faster. It would get great to be able to edit 4k (i.e. GH4) camera files but this may be asking a lot.

I am looking at getting a Core i7-6700K @ 4.0Ghz / Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3-DDR3, is this a significant upgrade and how much faster is it likely to be (I know its a difficult one to answer but no point it doing it if it is not significant).

I am a little confused by what memory I need. The gigabyte site says it used DDR3 but on the Build Guide here it has DDR4 memory. I am also wondering if as a interim measure I can use the memory from the current motherboard. When I do upgrade the memory I am going to go from 16GB to 32GB. I don't need ultra fast/expensive memory, just doubling it will make a HUBE difference. The intense stuff I do tends to be CPU bound so dont think fast memory will help. The Crucial Budget stuff recommended here is around 115 pounds, maybe I need this but a cheaper option would be good.

Anyway all/any advice gratefully revived.

Ben

You'd most likely be better just upgrading the GPU to a ATI Radeon card as you use Final Cut Pro. Also save you some cash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back