Contribute
Register

Core i7-3770K is slower than i7-3770

Status
Not open for further replies.
So let me ask you this question DBP, knowing what you know now, if you had it to do over again, and if the prices were the same, would you buy the i7-3770 or the i7-3770K??
If the price was the same, the 3770K lets me overclock it further. That's about it.

For my 3770K system (running @ 4.5 GHz) that's an easy answer.
For my 3770 system (running @ 4.1 cos it can) it was "found hardware" so there was no choice to make.

Hey DBP,

Since I read your thread, I became curious about i7 3770 OC' capabilities.

I found a BIOS tweak allowing to OC "non K" versions ; tried it, and CPU is showing 4,3 Ghz peaks (Win 7 x64 SP1) without any particular issue.

In the same way as you described, I can set the multiplication coefficient for each core: they can be set up till 39, individually.

I'm using a Scythe Mugen 2 RevB as CPU Cooler (pretty effective); what do you think would be the best durable OC way :
- Setting each core up to 39 ?
- Using the AsRock z77 Pro4-M "non-K" OC tweak (not sure how it works, did not find any clue in manual) ?

PS : Txs for sharing so much good informations, btw

So to paraphrase when using the 3770 (non K), disabling VT-d in the bios will cause games to not run as ideally, but will have no ill-effect on programs such as Photoshop & Premiere?

Also the i7-3770 has VT-d where the i7-3770k does not. If you plan to use any VMs you will want that feature.

Hmmm... Just ran accross your post of over a year ago. I don't think your statement is an accurate comment. I have an i7-3770k/Asus P8Z68 pro gen 3 setup and it has working VT-d. There is an able/disable bios setting for VT-d (last choice for the CPU config).

Further, I know its working because VT-d is required to install VMWare 6.0 Fusion 64 bit Win 7 Pro emulation. And, for things like CPU-Z, CPUID to work also... These all work because I enabled VT-d in my bios. If you only run 32 bit emulation, it is not needed. But if you want 64bit emulation it appears to be necessary. Could it be this is a board thing rather than the cpu? Works for me under both dsdt and non-dsdt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back