3. iBook
  4. Performa
  5. Plus
  6. Power Mac
  7. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
  2. Other
I have a Core 2 Duo MacBook (MacBook2,1), updated with an SSD and 3GB RAM. Officially, of course, this machine tops out at OS X 10.7 ("Lion"). I want to dedicate it in a remote location to a single task, running some proprietary software to periodically update a flash card with new databases (monthly). The app is very light weight, but needs at least Mavericks: "The minimum operating system required is Mavericks (v10.9) [and the software] has been tested and is compatible with Yosemite (v10.10), El Capitan (v10.11), and Sierra (v10.12)."

Is it possible to "hackintosh" this machine to run a later operating system than Lion? I have a 'hack I built about 7 years ago, currently running Mavericks (minitower Core i5), so I'm generally familiar with the process, just not sure if there are any show stoppers with this piece of kit, or if Apple somehow detects and cripples?

See this thread at MacRumor's Forum > macOS 10.12 Sierra Unsupported Macs Thread

Older Legacy Macs not in this table (including the MacBook2,1, MacBook3,1 and iMac5,1) can install Mountain Lion (10.8), Mavericks (10.9), and Yosemite (10.10) with MacPostFactor or OS X Extractor (noted in the spoiler below), but are not supported by OS X El Capitan (10.11) or later.

The "spoiler" has a list of threads with methods to do what you want.

Good luck! :thumbup:

Thanks! I ended up using the macOS Extractor method with a beat up old black MacBook4,1 (Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz) I forgot I had. The graphics support (ATI X3100) is as abysmal as you'd expect (missing title bars on windows, visible redrawing on some screens), but for my very limited purpose (running that single proprietary app), it works great! (At least, once I realized it was a 64-bit machine (ioreg -p IODeviceTree -b -n efi | grep firmware-abi), no need to install the provided boot.efi, and used Terminal to remove /System/Library/CoreServices/PlatformSupport.plist.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back