Graphics
RX 560
Would it be possible to:

Install a clean Lion on a 20gb partition
"Clone" it onto a 32gb flash drive using disk utility
Boot from it using iBoot legacy
"Clone" it onto a 1tb hard drive in desktop
Run multi beast and other post install files

My hardware works fine with Snow Leopard but I only own a copy of Lion and lost my Snow Leopard disk. I have a Macbook Pro 8,1 Running Lion.

Aww typing on an iPhone is silly.

Would that method work if I do not have a purchased copy of lion? Apple was kind enough to send me a lion recovery usb while troubleshooting my laptop. My hackintosh doesn't have ethernet drivers so I wouldn't be able to download it from the internet using the recovery usb.

I would just like to know if transferring my clean install from my macbook would cause problems. During install I noticed in the installer log that it noted I was using a mbp 8,1 does that mean it is tied to that machine?

I'd like to add that at the apple store when they troubleshoot a machine they have a hard drive that they can boot onto any intel mac. This gave me the idea to transfer my install.

circumventor said:
I'd like to add that at the apple store when they troubleshoot a machine they have a hard drive that they can boot onto any intel mac. This gave me the idea to transfer my install.
That is because the SMBIOS for a Mac is on a chip on the logic board of the Mac. For a hackintosh, your SMBIOS.plist is in your /Extra folder along with the org.chameleon.boot.plist which also contains files needed to interface with non-Mac PC parts.
The recovery USB they sent you will not work to create a UniBeast install USB drive. You need the Lion Installer USB or the Lion download.

If you want to try it, you can clone your mac drive, put it in your hack and boot with rBoot, then run MultiBeast to add a bootloader and other files you need if you can get to the desktop, but this is not the recommended method.

If copying the drive and installing over it doesn't work what about a migration (user+apps) from the MBP hard drive.

That is because the SMBIOS for a Mac is on a chip on the logic board of the Mac. For a hackintosh, your SMBIOS.plist is in your /Extra folder along with the org.chameleon.boot.plist which also contains files needed to interface with non-Mac PC parts.

So you are saying that I could run the post install tools while on my macbook, then copy the install so that Lion recognizes my hardware? Also, I know this wouldn't be legit but couldn't I download Lion since I technically own a copy I just don't have access to it?

Just to be clear I have 3 partitions on my MBP,
1: for Lion that I use every Day
2: A 20gb partition with a fresh Lion that has nothing installed, no updates (it is on 10.7.3) and no 3rd party software.
3: Bootcamp

EDIT:
http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD256
That is the same drive I got in the mail. It says that it would be an alternative to buying Lion from the app store. After reading the Q&A section nobody indicated that I would need an app store account to verify that I purchased Lion from the app store.

I set up my 10.7 by connecting the new system disk to my existing Mac and recovering a time machine backup of the existing Mac onto it. Then when still connected had the mac run multibeast. All outside the Custom Mac.

Slotted the preloaded drive into the PC Box and it started fine. Then played..

Sounds perfect. But do I run all of the multibeast utilities that I need? (ethernet and sound)

Or just the bootloader?

circumventor said:
Sounds perfect. But do I run all of the multibeast utilities that I need? (ethernet and sound)

Or just the bootloader?
Either - just make very sure that you point the installer at the drive for the hack and not your main MBP drive. Installing MB files to your MBP drive makes you have to either restore or re-install (I know - I made that mistake once :oops: )

BTW, if the USB from the Apple store you have is the one in the link, it is the retail install USB and you can use your MBP and http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/ along with that USB to create your hackintosh USB installer.
Then you will have one for each.

Ill try copying my MBP install first then if that doesn't work ill try the Unibeast. Ill post if I have success.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back