Graphics
HD 4000
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
hello all

time and again i am drawn back to the monster G5 coolers i stripped out from the old machine.
iv'e now taken my beast out of its case for a refit and am going to try out the old cooler.
yes that is my machine stripped bare and running free in the second photo!

the cooler is way heavy and solidly build and i expect it to be happy with a really quiet fan.

now originally the base had a small (aprox 20mm) square for the g5 processor, which is way too small for the i7, which is 30mm square.

ive sanded down the base to remove the old raised section and now it not as flat as i would like, so im thinking of soldering an 8mm copper plate on the bottom.
any ideas if the old lead/silver solder has a good enough thermal conductivity to both fill the minute gaps and still keep the block efficient?

i could easily just buy a high end cooler, but i'm sure most of you know this feeling hahahahahaha

ps

whats the ideal direction for power supply fitting?, big circular fan pointing in or out?

Attachments

• hackintosh-8-2.jpg
    hackintosh-8-2.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 282
  • hackintosh-2.jpg
    hackintosh-2.jpg
    208.7 KB · Views: 296
Hi, if you are going to use it then you really have to get the base flat. That means using increasingly finer grades of sandpaper on a flat glass block (google about lapping in CPUs for the technique) and finishing off with a mirror like finish.
If you try and fill gaps instead then you really won't get the best results. Also, soldering a copper block to the heatsink in would be pretty tricky as the whole point about a good heatsink is that it'll take the heat away from the area you are heating up very quickly.
Good luck.

great advise thanks
and yes the action of the heat transfer was most notable when i sliced the base plate off with an anglegrinder (2mm disk). amazing heat dispersion and transmission.

lapping? googling now

In all honesty you should find a local machine shop to machine the surface flat, then lap it.

i agree,
in fact iv'e hooked up with someone with membership of london hackspace. they have everything there i could need. fantastic place.
ill machine then lap then paste, then update the forum
best
wp

whats the ideal direction for power supply fitting?, big circular fan pointing in or out?
Exhaust... hot air going out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back