Graphics
Sapphire Radeon Nitro+ RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello,
I have had a dual boot system for a while but once I switched to the Clover boot loader with then High Serra and now Catalina, I have had to boot into windows very time using the bios F12 button because my separate Windows Scandisk SSD 240gig drive is still running on MBR. I currently have 3 drives in my desktop. Because of all the at the home time I now have I am finally trying to streamline the use of the Clover boot loader by converting the Windows drive to GPT without Data loss but haven"t been able to complete the task using the windows terminal MBR2GPT option, it always says it failed. So now I have created a disk ISO image of my Window OS using the free Macrium Reflect software and stored it onto my WD storage drive, I have also made a Bootable Win 10 USB. I basically want to reformat the Windows drive to GPT and then use the ISO image to restore my Win OS back onto the same drive now thats reformatted but wasn't sure of the best way to achieve this or if I am making this harder than necessary? Thanks

My Hard Drives:
1.Catalina on a Samsung 840 on GPT Format
2. Windows 10 on a Scan disk 240 on MBR Format
3. Western Digital 2TB running as Storage drive, mostly for Windows games on GPT Format

To install Win10 GPT on a drive with a previous installation of Win10 on MBR:
1. Create a Win10 USB installation drive (note it must be able to install UEFI mode)
2. Disconnect all other drives, leaving only the Win10 SSD connected.
3. Boot the PC and use the function hot key to select a boot device (F8 for Asus, F11 for Asrock, F12 for Gigabyte, etc.)
4. Find the UEFI version of your USB drive, select it and boot.
5. When you reach the screen asking what partition you want to install Win10, hit shift+F10 to open a command prompt
6. type the following and hit enter at each line. (// and after is comment for your info - do not type)
diskpart
list disk //Note there should be only 2 listed - the usb drive and the one you want for Win10. Say Win10 drive is disk 0
select disk 0 //it will tell you disk 0 is selected
clean all //this will return the drive to factory state - all zeros. Do not do this more often than you must.
convert GPT // it will convert the MBR formatting to GPT -
list disk // You will now see an * under GPT on line with disk 0, confirming it is now GPT
select disk 0
create partition primary
list part // Say the partition is 1
select partition 1
active
format fs=NTFS Label=Win10 //Label can be anything you want it to be
exit
exit

With the command prompt closed, you can now select this partition and install Win10.

With Win10 installed, you can restore the image you made of your existing drive to the reformatted one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back