CPU
i7-4790K
Graphics
RX 580
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Connection apple wired keyboard lost when turning off USB printer =FIXED=

Hi guys,

I still have this one unresolved issue which is whenever I turn off my USB printer I lose my apple wired keyboard and have to re-plug to get it back.
I have tried various USB fixes (plist) and even a few kexts (not all of them though) and I'm out of ideas. My previous windows keyboard did not have this issue. Maybe it has to do with the apple keyboard requiring power for the usb ports?

Thanks in advance

Is the printer and keyboard plugged into the same USB hub? could be a power load issue, at times if a hub is nearing max capacity any small change in electrical quantities either up or down can knock out all devices attached. If they are both on the same hub try plugging say the keyboard into the front set of ports and the printer into the back set and see what happens.

If you have access to a powered hub you could try that and see if it helps with both devices attached to it.

Assuming non of that works then I guess it would be a software issue so not to sure where you could go from there.

---Edit---
Its possible if the ports are old they may be damaged so they could be short circuiting, I've tested USB short circuits on windows in the past and I know that it will through a pop up balloon telling you that the hub has been shut off automatically to prevent damage and that to reactive the hub you just need to plug a usb connector into one of the hubs ports. Ive never tested it on OS X before so I'm not sure if OS X a short circuit error message that will display.

Last edited:
Hi Chris,

I have them plugged in the back (mobo)
I recently bought a Delock USB/SD hub so will try plugging in there.
I'll get back with updates.

Thanks!

Update: Just plugged the Canon printer in a USB3.0 port on the back and the issue seems to be resolved, geez, I hope it's because of Yosemite working differently or the new USB kext and not because my stupidity of not trying all ports/configurations before :banghead:

Not getting too excited just yet but might already be fixed! Thanks for the heads-up Chris ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back