Contribute
Register

Connecting iPhone freezes Yosemite.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not everyone can or wants to switch to Clover. Neither my onboard Intel graphics or my ATI HD5870 (admittedly an older GPU but still one of the best for Final Cut Pro X which is why I stick with it) has a GOP BIOS so CSM can't be disabled in the UD5H BIOS. Also, I find Clover to be much more of a work in progress than MultiBeast, which has reached such a point of reliability that it's no longer one of the things you have to worry about when installing OS X on compatible PC hardware.

Which brings us to compatibility. The Z77X-UD5H was just about the most compatible motherboard for OS X right up until Yosemite. It worked perfectly with Mountain Lion and Mavericks, with only minimal kexts and no DSDT required. If it suddenly has USB issues with Yosemite, the problem is with the code, not the hardware. It's proven to be OS X friendly. Something in Yosemite has changed, and hopefully this community will continue to keep digging till we find it and fix it. There is just no compelling reason for anyone except benchmark hobbyists to upgrade from a working 3770K/UD5H system right now. With a moderate overclock it's as fast and powerful as the top of Apple's current line, and even for demanding tasks like video editing this system can't be significantly beaten by anything Apple's currently selling short of a max'd out Mac Pro which costs ten times what I paid for my 3770K/UD5H rig.

Something is different with the way Yosemite treats USB, especially 3rd party chipsets like the VIA USB 3.0 on the UD5H. The board isn't going to change, and I think it's unlikely Apple is going to push out an update to make Yosemite play nice with VIA USB chipsets. Not all of us can or even care to use Clover as our Bootloader.

So that leaves MultiBeast and Chimera. That's where the fix is going to happen, if it ever happens. I'm hoping that guys here who are better able than me to dig through the code and find out what's broken for Chimera that reportedly isn't for Clover, and fix it. There's no reason why we all can't continue to use this still excellent motherboard with the latest OS X.

As everybody must have figured out by now, the solution is to:

- switch to Clover
- boot UEFI only [CSM disabled] from a revision F14 BIOS

No more kp's when connecting iphones!

The diagnosis, I'm sure, is right on spot - the "usbmuxd" and "usbd" processes are to blame as far as I can tell.

Although it's very likely that a "legacy USB" solution will be provided by the MB team, myself I'm happy with a BIOS mod [disabling CSM] to provide full compatibility with a vanilla OS.

The drawback [blank BIOS screen, one has to reset the board to change any setting!] is the price to pay for this state of affairs. Pity about our board, but it's a reasonable compromise.

Just my 2c.

Xen

Not sure I understand some of the things you're saying. What "BIOS mod" are you talking about? My UD5H is on the last official Gigabyte BIOS, F14, and it has the ability to disable CSM.

Also, if I read your comment right, you're saying that all disabling CSM does is prevent you from seeing the BIOS screen during boot. But I'm under the impression that without a video card with a GOP BIOS, you're not going to get anything on the screen if you boot OS X using Clover as the boot loader in true UEFI mode, with CSM disabled. That's been my experience with my HD 5870 and onboard HD4000 graphics. If I'm wrong about this, and all a lack of GOP BIOS means is no boot screen but everything else works once OS X boots into the welcome screen, then please let me know. I thought you couldn't use a non-GOP video card if you wanted to boot with Clover and CSM disabled.

The diagnosis, I'm sure, is right on spot - the "usbmuxd" and "usbd" processes are to blame as far as I can tell.

Although it's very likely that a "legacy USB" solution will be provided by the MB team, myself I'm happy with a BIOS mod [disabling CSM] to provide full compatibility with a vanilla OS.

The drawback [blank BIOS screen, one has to reset the board to change any setting!] is the price to pay for this state of affairs. Pity about our board, but it's a reasonable compromise.

Just my 2c.

Xen

Not sure I understand some of the things you're saying. ... If I'm wrong about this, and all a lack of GOP BIOS means is no boot screen but everything else works once OS X boots into the welcome screen, then please let me know.

My bad; sorry.

Disabling CSM is, clearly, not a BIOS modification.

The bottom line: please try the Clover/CSM-disabled route; it really DOES resolve the USB issue which had turned a dream motherboard to a nightmarish one.

Post #64 from http://www.tonymacx86.com/general-help/145213-z77x-ud5h-usb-problems-reboot-yosemite-7.html highlights the procedure I used; please note that my graphics card is NOT GOP-enabled, and that my MB firmware is F14.

It was painless, despite the fact that I struggled a bit to configure Clover.

The endpoint that can be achieved by this procedure is:

- you get full function of the system
- all that you loose is the ability to enter BIOS along with the bootloader GUI (hence the need to setup a startup volume in Clover's config.plist); video appears normally as the desktop is loading
- if one has to switch BIOS settings, all that's required is to perform a CMOS reset and load a saved configuration (e.g. "Yosemite pre-CSM switch")

Life is good; I'm sure you won't regret it.

HTH

Xen

Xenophone,

So far I'm able to create a Yosemite installation USB drive, Cloverize it, and successfully install Yosemite to a GUID-partitioned SSD. This is with my UD5H BIOS set up with all the recommended settings (PLL/WOL/VTT disabled, etc.). The first boot to Yosemite, using the USB thumb drive as the Clover boot loader, works fine.

The problem is everything after this step. Every time I try to install Clover to the SSD and configure everything properly, the system refuses to boot Yosemite on its own. I followed your steps to the word but no luck.

I think the problem is that there's no clear step-by-step guide YET for the UD5H and Yosemite. There are several different guides - the official Tonymac guide, Skyline's, Ultrazone's, "For Dummies" - and they're all different. No consensus, no overlap.

Then I get to Clover Configurator, which apparently is mandatory for finishing the installation. Despite my many years of successful Hackintoshing with dozens of working systems out in the field, I have no idea what I'm doing with Clover Configurator. So I follow one guide's settings, and the system won't boot. Start over from scratch with a fresh install, try another guide's CC settings. Won't boot. I must be missing something elemental, because guys like you are here telling me Clover's a snap and they're up and running no problem.

I'm not asking you to do this, you've been very helpful already, but my Thanksgiving wish would be for someone who's had success using Clover to install Yosemite to write a real step-by-step guide to Clover/Yosemite/Z77X-UD5H, which means screen shots of BIOS settings, Clover setup screens and Clover Congurator screens, not just "Install Clover, then do Clover Configurator, and you're done." There are far too many options to tick on both of these apps without a visual guide spelling out which ones to tick and which ones to leave alone. The guides listed above are all outdated as well, with screenshots that no longer jibe with what the current versions of Clover and Configurator display.

I don't wish to sound cranky or frustrated. I understand this whole pursuit is a moving target and sometimes you find yourself back on the learning curve, which is definitely where I am with Clover. I appreciate all the help I can get here, and I'm hoping someone can chime in and walk me through putting Clover on this UD5H so it works as well as it currently does using Chimera, except without the USB-related kernel panics.

My bad; sorry.

Post #64 from http://www.tonymacx86.com/general-help/145213-z77x-ud5h-usb-problems-reboot-yosemite-7.html highlights the procedure I used; please note that my graphics card is NOT GOP-enabled, and that my MB firmware is F14.

It was painless, despite the fact that I struggled a bit to configure Clover.

The endpoint that can be achieved by this procedure is:

- you get full function of the system
- all that you loose is the ability to enter BIOS along with the bootloader GUI (hence the need to setup a startup volume in Clover's config.plist); video appears normally as the desktop is loading
- if one has to switch BIOS settings, all that's required is to perform a CMOS reset and load a saved configuration (e.g. "Yosemite pre-CSM switch")

Life is good; I'm sure you won't regret it.

HTH

Xen

Let's try to figure this out together:

You used to have a working Mavericks install on the UD5H, right? From what I gather, you successfuly upgraded this [Chameleon/Chimera] workstation to Yosemite and then ran into the USB freeze trouble.

Well, let't take it from there [which, by the way, is what my circumstances were].

I'll try to recreate the steps, albeit from memory:

- created the Yosemite/Unibeast install stick
- did NOT Cloverize it, like you did
- used it to uprade my Chimera/Mavericks install
- got stuck with the USB freeze issue
- installed Yosemite [fresh] to a 2.5" spare disk on SATA B, through Unibeast [and embarked on fruitless troubleshooting of the USB / iPhone issue]
- THEN installed Clover to that spare disk, with "UEFI only" options [I guess; wasn't very familiar with Clover at that stage, and not very optimistic, so I didn't keep notes and probably accepted defaults]
- switched some BIOS settings [not sure how] to point to that disk's EFI partition
- booted that, and saw the default Christmas Clover bootloader GUI
- copied my DSDT.aml [with pjalm's patches, from the previous Chimera install, in /Extra] to the root folder
- left FakeSMC, AppleIntelE1000e [v3.1.0], and 3rd_Party_SATA kexts in S/L/E; did a Kext Utility repair

Now, the critical phase of this procedure, begins: how to configure the damn thing!

I obviously used Clover Configurator, and found it very intimidating as you did. Let's go through the motions:

- tried my previous MacPro3,1 smbios [and entered the old SN#], along with options that appeared checked on other UD5H-specific guides
- didn't work
- switched smbioses, settings, and, like you, felt like the whole thing just couldn't work

Finally, I tried the following, which worked --- and I'm listing all since I can't be sure what exactly did the trick:

- my EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI folder contains:

DataHubDxe-64.efi
EmuVariableUefi-64.efi
FSInject-64.efi
OsxAptioFixDrv-64.efi
OsxFatBinaryDrv-64.efi
PartitionDxe-64.efi
VBoxHfs-64.efi

(removed a fake Firewire driver that someone suggested)

- my config.plist [the actual, working one, with scrambled SN# and UUIDs] is attached; all you have to do is open it with TextWrangler and enter your boot disk name [without quotes], then copy it to the CLOVER folder [but before, MAKE A COPY of YOUR CONFIG.PLIST]

I you want, try these steps on a fresh Chimera/Yosemite install [with SUBSEQUENT Clover installation] on a SPARE disk, and let me know. Good luck.

With greetings from Athens,

Xen

P.S. If, as I suspect, you manage to resolve the Clover issue, it would be worthwhile to compare your previous config.plist [use Clover Configurator to inspect it] with the successful one, and let us all know what the critical differences were

Attachments

• config.plist
    2.6 KB · Views: 232
I have a Gigabyte Board Z77X-UD5H in my rig too, and when I plug in my iPhone, Yosemite freezes completely; sucks. I'll post here should I figure anything out.

Xenophon61,

Many thanks for your last message, it helped me a great deal in terms of booting Yosemite on the UD5H and getting Clover installed and configured properly for this particular board.

Here's what I wound up doing:

1. Fresh Yosemite installation using UniBeast USB thumb drive;

2. Installed Clover r3033 onto boot drive with the following options ticked (see attachments);

3. Installed fakesmc.kext to S/L/E with MultiBeast;

4. Created new config.plist based on your config.plist attachment (see attached);

(After trying the UD5H/i7-3770K initially with an iMac13,2 system definition, I found that, like my old MultiBeast installation, I saw faster performance with the iMac12,2 sysdef. I also added SSD TRIM support to the KextsToPatch section)

5. Replaced VboxHFS-64.efi with official Apple HFSPlus.efi in /EFI/EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI;

6. Copied my recently compiled DSDT.aml to /EFI/EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched;

7. Downloaded "mac" theme and unzipped it to /EFI/EFI/CLOVER/THEMES;

8. Reset UD5H BIOS F14 to full UEFI boot, CSM disabled, UEFI-only for boot drive, OpROM, etc.

And it worked. Booted right into Yosemite in about 15 seconds from cold boot, which is about half my best-ever Chimera. I don't really care about a 15 second boot vs. 30 seconds, but it's impressive as hell. This thing just fires up like a rocket.

I didn't have any trouble getting LAN and audio to work because I've disabled my UD5H's onboard LAN and audio for years, preferring the better performance I get from a gigabit PCI LAN card that works natively with Apple's Yukon2 kext and a good USB audio interface (Behringer UCA-202).

Everything works great and the issues with kernel panics related to USB after wake are gone. The only bug I've noticed in the week I've had the system booting with Clover is that even though I disabled Firewire in BIOS, it shows up in System Profiler anyway and causes a "FireWire GUID 0000000000000000 is invalid!" Console error every 5-15 seconds. This doesn't seem to impact system performance and nothing seems spiky in Activity Monitor, but I would like to know how to get Clover to ignore FireWire and stop flooding Console with error messages. I Googled the issue and apparently it's related to CSM being disabled, so the BIOS no longer reports FireWire as disabled. I know the fastest way to insanity is to worry about Console error messages because there's no Mac, real or otherwise, that doesn't have any recurring Console error messages, but this seems like something fixable.

I have to say, Xenophon61, that there's no way I would've been able to successfully boot my UD5H with Clover without your last post. None of the previous Clover guides worked for me, even the ones specific to the UD5H. The key was your config.plist file as a starting point. Without it, the standard config.plist or even the ones spat out by Clover Configurator are suboptimal and for me at least non-functioning. So anyone with a Z77X-UD5H looking to Cloverize their system would do well to look at Xenophon61's config.plist as a starting point, because that spelled the difference between months of swearing at Clover and success.

Thanks again and happy holidays!

Attachments

• config.plist.txt
    2.8 KB · Views: 243
  • clover2-1.jpg
    clover2-1.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 81
  • clover1-1.jpg
    clover1-1.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 104
Status
Not open for further replies.