7. Portable
  8. Power Mac
  9. PowerBook
  10. Quadra
  11. SE
  12. SE/30
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I've got everything up and running on a Gigabyte GA-Z170X- Gaming 3 motherboard. The install of OS 10.11.6 went fine. Now I am ready to install the GPU. My Corsair power supply came with two cables labeled "Type 4" on one end (which I have plugged into the PSU), and with two sets of plugs on the other.... each with a six pin connector, and a 2 pin connector. The 2 pin connectors seem to have a tiny orientation rail molded onto the side of the plug, which prevents them from plugging anywhere into the GPU power sockets. Can I assume that it is safe to plug the two six pin plugs into the two six pin sockets (where they will fit.) Does it matter which six pin goes into which six pin socket? I don't want to blow anything up at this late stage.... Thanks!

I've got everything up and running on a Gigabyte GA-Z170X- Gaming 3 motherboard. The install of OS 10.11.6 went fine. Now I am ready to install the GPU. My Corsair power supply came with two cables labeled "Type 4" on one end (which I have plugged into the PSU), and with two sets of plugs on the other.... each with a six pin connector, and a 2 pin connector. The 2 pin connectors seem to have a tiny orientation rail molded onto the side of the plug, which prevents them from plugging anywhere into the GPU power sockets. Can I assume that it is safe to plug the two six pin plugs into the two six pin sockets (where they will fit.) Does it matter which six pin goes into which six pin socket? I don't want to blow anything up at this late stage.... Thanks!

A check : Are the cables labelled "PCI-E" on the other end?

If so, just plug the 2 6 pin connectors to the 2 6 pin sockets on the graphics card and the card will receive sufficient power.

The 2 pin extra connector is for graphics cards which have 8 pin sockets.

A check : Are the cables labelled "PCI-E" on the other end?

If so, just plug the 2 6 pin connectors to the 2 6 pin sockets on the graphics card and the card will receive sufficient power.

The 2 pin extra connector is for graphics cards which have 8 pin sockets.
Thanks! I found an article on another website, that gave me the confidence to just plug in the 6 pin plugs. Everything seems to be working (except for the nVidia driver battle). The GPU is putting a workable video signal through to my monitor, but it's not doing any of the graphics computations yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back