Graphics
GTX 980Ti
Mac
  1. iMac
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I'm sure this thread is in the wrong place, and please move it if this is so, but let me get to the point:

So I understand how to install OS X and Win 10 with a USB drive blah blah blah. The thing is how do I make install on to a specific drive and not on another.

This is how my computer will be setup:

• 120GB SSD for my Win 10 Partition (For the OS and some apps: Steam, Chrome, Fraps, Origin, Teamspeak, Creo Parametric 2.0, Razer Synapse)
  • 250GB SSD for my OS X Partition (For the OS and some apps: iWork stuff, PSE, Skype, iTunes Library, Chrome, and some other things)
  • 4TB Seagate SSHD Hybrid Drive (For storing other apps, all my documents, photos, games, video archive, amongst other things). 2TB will be Win 10 (for games and nothing else really). The other 2TB will be for OS X and everything else.

How would I go about setting this up with the corresponding drives for their OSs, and having the OSs in the right place and not getting confused. N.B. I have a Asus motherboard, and the SSDs are Samsung 850 EVO series if thats of importance.

I have seen LinusTechTips' video but I'm still confused: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMo8krAJd5Q

You have listed an iMac as your computer.
Assuming you are installing to generic Intel hardware read the guides specific for your chipset and processor. The instructions are very clear. Pay attention to the flags.
Print out the instructions or use a tablet or whatever to guide you through the process.
General tips are to install OS X first and know how to point the motherboard to that drive for booting. Make sure OS X boots off the hard drive and things like network, audio and USB are working.
Install Windows. If on a separate hard drive unplug the OS X hard drive when installing windows so the boot manager is not overwritten.
Presuming you have a UEFI motherboard Windows installations can reset the UEFI settings so you may not boot to your chosen hard drive until and unless you reset the UEFI to default settings. You can then retweak at will.
If you installed OS X and Chimera properly it should recognize all your drives/partitions at start up.

I'm sure this thread is in the wrong place, and please move it if this is so, but let me get to the point:

So I understand how to install OS X and Win 10 with a USB drive blah blah blah. The thing is how do I make install on to a specific drive and not on another.

This is how my computer will be setup:

• 120GB SSD for my Win 10 Partition (For the OS and some apps: Steam, Chrome, Fraps, Origin, Teamspeak, Creo Parametric 2.0, Razer Synapse)
  • 250GB SSD for my OS X Partition (For the OS and some apps: iWork stuff, PSE, Skype, iTunes Library, Chrome, and some other things)
  • 4TB Seagate SSHD Hybrid Drive (For storing other apps, all my documents, photos, games, video archive, amongst other things). 2TB will be Win 10 (for games and nothing else really). The other 2TB will be for OS X and everything else.

How would I go about setting this up with the corresponding drives for their OSs, and having the OSs in the right place and not getting confused. N.B. I have a Asus motherboard, and the SSDs are Samsung 850 EVO series if thats of importance.

I have seen LinusTechTips' video but I'm still confused: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMo8krAJd5Q
See sticky guide at beginning of this forum.
Install OS X SSD, no other drives, install OS X, get it running.
Shutdown, install 4TB drive and format it. Suggest GUID partition tables, OS X for partition 1 and xFAT for partition 2.
Shutdown, disconnect both drives, connect Windows SSD.
Install Windows, update it, install AV and firewall. Shutdown
Reconnect OS X SSD and 4TB drive.
Boot to BIOS and make the OS X drive first in BIOS BBS HDD boot order, save&exit, continue boot.
At Chimera/Clover selection screen select Windows and boot it. Open the disk management tool and format the second partition of the 4TB drive NTFS.

Note that Chimera cannot boot Windows if it is installed UEFI - force Windows to install Legacy mode or use Clover instead.

So I get the drives stuff, but for when I make the multi beast USB do I need to put extra stuff like legacy or do I have to download clover later or what?

So I get the drives stuff, but for when I make the multi beast USB do I need to put extra stuff like legacy or do I have to download clover later or what?

See UniBeast+MultiBeast guide - http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-...-x-yosemite-any-supported-intel-based-pc.html

Or Clover guide - http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-desktop-guides/144426-how-install-os-x-yosemite-using-clover.html

After installing with Clover guide use MultiBeast to install network and audio.

Ok I'm understanding clover but it is soooooo complicated, I mean do I absolutely have to use clover

Ok I'm understanding clover but it is soooooo complicated, I mean do I absolutely have to use clover
Only if you allow Windows to install UEFI. Install it legacy mode and you can use Chimera.

So when I make my multi beast usb during the process in uni beast I click install legacy

So when I make my multi beast usb during the process in uni beast I click install legacy

multi beast USB? for what? MB is a post install utility to install drivers - has nothing to do with OS installations.

Forcing Windows to install Legacy can be done with several different ways:
you can set the BIOS to Legacy Boot only if the BIOS offers you that option - some do, some don't.
you can pre-format the Windows drive to single partition, MBR partition tables, NTFS format with gparted or other disk management tool
you can, during the boot post, hit the function hotkey (F8, F10, F12 depending on board) that allows you to select a boot device. Your Windows USB will show up twice:
UEFI USB Windows NTFS
USB Windows NTFS

Choose the one without UEFI

Sorry if I seemed a bit absent minded in this thread.

Let me just understand how I'm going to setup/install OS X + Win 10.

1. I create my Unibeast USB the normal way, (I also include the USB Legacy Support thing).
  2. I create my Win 10 USB the normal way.
  3. Unplug all my drives except the OS X 250GB SSD and get everything up and running, (I set it to MBR, right?)
  4. Shutdown and plug back in the 4TB SSHD
  5. Switch on and set half the SSHD to GUID (?OS X Journaled?) and the other to xFat
  6. Disconnect everything and put the 120GB SSD in
  7. Install Win 10, during boot post (?what is boot post?) I press Del/Ins/F10 for my Asus board and then select the usb without UEFI and then follow the install Win 10 stuff. (?what do you mean by firewall and AV?)
  8. Shutdown and reconnect everything
  9. Make the OS X drive first in the BIOS boot order thing, save and continue booting up.
  10. Both into Windows and then format the rest of the SSHD to NTFS

Just a question about the bios function keys: do I press them as soon as when my computer switches on.

Please tell me if I'm either being a total idiot or if I'm doing this stuff right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back