Contribute
Register

Confusing OC results between Windows and OS X

Status
Not open for further replies.
Code:
ACPI CPUs not found: C-States not generated !!!
ACPI CPUs not found: P-States not generated !!!
There's definitely something wrong with the C&P states generation but I don't really know the cause. Would you mind uploading your DSDT and org.chameleon.boot.plist? Also make sure all the cpu features in the BIOS are "Enabled", not "Auto".

Base multiplier is the normal frequency, 3.3GHz for your 2500K, and turbo boost is a feature that increases the frequency when the OS requests the highest performance state (up to 3.7GHz). So basically now your CPU is running at the overclocked freq all the time. That's why I advised you to leave the base frequency alone, enable all cpu features and only use the turbo states to overclock, so it will run at max speed only when necessary.

eMatoS said:
Code:
ACPI CPUs not found: C-States not generated !!!
ACPI CPUs not found: P-States not generated !!!
There's definitely something wrong with the C&P states generation but I don't really know the cause. Would you mind uploading your DSDT and org.chameleon.boot.plist? Also make sure all the cpu features in the BIOS are "Enabled", not "Auto".

Base multiplier is the normal frequency, 3.3GHz for your 2500K, and turbo boost is a feature that increases the frequency when the OS requests the highest performance state (up to 3.7GHz). So basically now your CPU is running at the overclocked freq all the time. That's why I advised you to leave the base frequency alone, enable all cpu features and only use the turbo states to overclock, so it will run at max speed only when necessary.

Well… you can increase the regular frequency and disable all turbos.
As long as your system is at low load (i guess under 20%) it's running with 1,6GHz!

Yes, you are correct Dschijn , but that is not his case. Without P states his CPU runs at the higher clock all the time, no matter the cpu load.

eMatoS said:
You might want to enable C&P states with chameleon and patch your aicpupm kext otherwise the turbo steps won't work in lion, just the regular. You can try Multibeast or Chameleon Wizard for this task. For the patch read this thread.
I also highly recommend you to use the turbo states to overclock, not the base multiplier.
How about posting a bdmesg output
?

I second that recommendation - oh! a kindred soul. This is what I have suggested that other SB owners try, although there are too many mobo's out their for me to be even more precise or to give any guarantees:

I call this "underclocking and turbo biasing" as you'll see below. Make sure that all of the following are enabled:
turboboost,
C1E,
HPET 64,
T (trottle) states,
C states,
P states,
and Hyperthreading.
Also, note while you boot in verbose mode (-v) whether Apple Native Power Management is activated and what the turbo ratio is when booting. If native power management is activated, and you see a relatively larger turbo ratio (mine is DDDDEE or 13,13,13,13,14,14 with dual 5680'S, my base multiplier is set at 13 and my Bclk set at between 165 - 190 [base for me is 133, but SB base is 100 and much more restricted to about a 5+ point range from what I've read]), you should then try setting the base multi much lower - such as 13-21, while keeping the turbo ratios at the 44x setting. This may allow you, as it has for me, to use much, much lower voltages to keep those temps way down at idle and could yield for you a minimum geekbench2 score of, at least, 3k-4k higher. Don't worry about the fact that you may be running many single or low threaded apps because, if things go as I hope, turbo will kick in for them too, as it does for me. I must admit that my system is very different from yours, but successfully using this technique allowed me to add about 10k points to my geekbench2 score [from about 30,500 to 40,100] (Cinebench11.5 scores [see sig below], as we'll as Cinema4d animation render times, also shot thru the roof). Thus, you may wish to mirror it as closely as you can.

1) The base multiplier is the default one that your system uses when you reset the bios. Dial down that number as low as possible while maintaining system stability, keeping in mind the lower you dial it down the lower Vcore that's required and the cooler your system will run at idle, thus ensuring one of the environmental variables in which turbo boost thrives, namely, cool cores. The second such environmental variable, namely, within spec VID, is achieved by locking in a specific Vcore at which your system is stable that is a step or two below spec VID for your cpu [per info from the cpu world site page for your processor, don't rely on Auto because it may creep up to spec VID].

2) Also note well that I'm recommending that you set the turbo boost to say 46x,45x,44x,43x for a quad core cpu - and adding 1 to each until stability is compromised (then back down a step) using core scaling, but not the individual cores to 44x, unless that is how you set the turbo amount on your system. In other words, I am not recommending that you set each core to run at a 44x ratio all of the time, but only when turbo boost is triggered. ... I am a proponent of biasing the system towards almost complete reliance on turbo boosting for any significant load. This is the technique I discovered* yielded mind boggling performance and applied it to all of my systems before Sandy Bridge E specs were released and it is the reason for Sandy Bridge E's having lower base multi ratios, but much higher turbo boost ranges, just not as exaggerated as mine (DDDDEE or 13,13,13,13,14,14 - normally it would have been 1,1,1,1,2,2 for me).

Opps - I forgot to point out one caveat: it appears that the highest working turbo range is E or 14 at the top end. What this may mean for you SB owners is that you may not be able to go much, if any, below 38x for the base cpu multiplier because 14 + 38 = 52 may be getting to close to the max potential of your cpu (the highest multiplier for Sandy Bridge is 57 [57 - 14 = 43]) and your bios may not let you downclock as mine does to basement nos. like 13.

Some bios and cpu combo's may not allow this technique, so your mileage may vary.

* The great d00d lead me to this discovery with his philosophies (1) that if you emulate a system, you should truly do so fully - that is why all of the native power management features are enabled and (2) that less is more - that is why I decided to underclock the idle state and never reach spec VID, yielding a greatly pronounced and ever present turbo range. Overvolting wastes energy, isn't linearly rewarded with performance, hampers turbo boost from prevailing, decreases your cpu's life and will make you a slave of your power company. d00d has the published, but unattributed, 33,066 geekbench2 score; all of the published scores above his for OSX, even the non-attributed ones, are mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back