Contribute
Register

Confused--ga-z77n-wifi onboard Bluetooth works in OSX, or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Z87N-WIFI
CPU
i7-4770
Graphics
Intel HD 4600
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I've read conflicting reports about how the onboard WIFI card in the GA-Z77N-WIFI works in OS X (ML)

I thought (from buyers guide) that the BT works but not the Wifi? But I've read that neither work, or somewhere said just the wifi?

Anyhoo, what functions work with OS X, and how do I get them going? Thanks

The BT works. Nothing special required in software: it's just there.

You do need to connect one of the antennas for it to see any devices though. There are two antenna mounts at the back of the motherboard, and the one closest to the HDMI ports is the one you need to connect. You can leave the other one empty.

I use this on the HTPC in the lounge room to connect the mouse and keyboard over on the sofa. They're not accessible inside the BIOS though (I keep an old wired keyboard around for that).

thanks for that, exactly what I needed to know!!

so how about I run my pci adapter wifi card to the other rear antenna? It has 2 antenna leads, labeled "1" and "2", do you know which one I can use, if I only need one of them?

so how about I run my pci adapter wifi card to the other rear antenna? It has 2 antenna leads, labeled "1" and "2", do you know which one I can use, if I only need one of them?
Most WiFi cards benefit from having all their antennas connected (for more bandwidth via MIMO/etc). And you mean PCIe not PCI don't you? This board doesn't have a PCI slot.
Most PCIe network cards have their own connectors at the rear panel anyway, so why would you try to use one of the pigtails in the motherboard panel?

Are you using a mini-PCIe WiFi card in a mini-to-full PCIe adapter card? Many adapters comes with antenna connectors and pigtails, but even so I would have thought it was neater to put the mini-PCIe card on the motherboard (removing the original BT/WiFi card, and connecting both pigtails to it) and just using a USB BT dongle. That would leave the PCIe slot free for the future.

Would it be safe to assume that the Apple Keyboard and Magic Trackpad / Mouse will get detected ?
Just like any other Bluetooth device you'll have to pair them with the machine (e.g. via Set Up Bluetooth Device) but thereafter no problem.

First, thanks DBP for being johnny on the spot with the replies and help

Yes, PCIe, and yes the BCM mini card into the adapter is what I have.

So youre saying I can take out the Z77n stock WIFI card and replace it with the Broadcom card? Then to add BT I would use a dongle?

If thats so, that would be better, considering the stock wifi card needs the antennae hooked up to even pick up BT devices (is that really true? That seems ridiculously lame)

Yes, PCIe, and yes the BCM mini card into the adapter is what I have.

So youre saying I can take out the Z77n stock WIFI card and replace it with the Broadcom card? Then to add BT I would use a dongle?

If thats so, that would be better, considering the stock wifi card needs the antennae hooked up to even pick up BT devices (is that really true? That seems ridiculously lame)
Seems like a decent summary. And if you get the right BT dongle your keyboard might even work in the BIOS. I'm not sure which, but there are other threads here discussing that.

I can't get the onboard bluetooth to work on the z77n motherboard. I really wish I could. I got both antennas hooked up right now, and when scanning, nothing discoverable will show up...

I'm starting to think that I am just having bad luck with Bluetooth. I bought the IOGear dongle, and it was not even recognized by my mac. I just got around to plugging it in on a windows XP machine, and that does not recognize it either. It must be DOA!!! I originally had the Targus one, but that fell apart on me, literally. It fell to pieces. The thing only has two pieces!! I just bought another Targus one, i'll try that when it arrives from amazon in a few days. In the meantime I am going to uninstall the mini PCIe card, as I cannot get the onboard bluetooth to pick anything up no matter what I try...

Having the Bluetooth Blues....,

Richard :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back