Contribute
Register

config for video editing+audio recording - plz advise

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my opinion, this new build looks much better. :thumbup:

Thank you Pastrychef! Finally getting there. Haha

The Noctua cooler will come with thermal compound.

A standard philips screwdriver should be enough to put everything together.

Good to know. :) Then I think I have all I need for the build and will order all of this next weekend!
Are there any useful build guides on this forum you would recommand? Haven't had time to check it out yet.

Try looking in the User Builds and Golden Builds sub-forums for others who have used Asus Z170 motherboards and see how they have their bios set.

Also, try searching YouTube for some videos on building computers.

You might want to consider the Corsair 200R over the 100R as the former is superior, imo. (Although they should have gone with a single 5.25" external bay instead of three. Like the In Win 703 (which I would never buy because it doesn
t allow the mounting of a top mounted fan.)) You should do Google searches for any case you're interested in by search for the name, model and the word "review". Trust me, choosing the right case could be harder than choosing all the other components.

I would suggest you also get an anti-static wrist strap and watch a YouTube video on how to correctly use it, although the printed instructions should be sufficient. Basically you find a work area that isn't conductive, like a wooden table top and make sure that you're not standing on carpet, it should preferably be tile or wood. When handling electronics, especially RAM modules, you do not touch the gold fingers, you do not touch the chips, you do not touch the board etches. With RAM you use your thumb and pointing index finger to hold it length wise and insert the modules down into the slot. (Ever wonder why some mobos tout anti-static circuitry for the USB ports? Yep, you never want to touch the metal guard on USB devices, especially as you insert them into the USB slots.)

Noctua's instructions call for ~ 1/16" sliver of thermal paste be applied down the middle of the CPU top, which may work fine for dual cores, but I went with a "+" pattern - no the thermal line does not extend all the way to the edge of the CPU case, it should stop about 1/4" from the edge.

Thanks for the tips, guys.

You might want to consider the Corsair 200R over the 100R as the former is superior, imo. (Although they should have gone with a single 5.25" external bay instead of three. Like the In Win 703 (which I would never buy because it doesn
t allow the mounting of a top mounted fan.)) You should do Google searches for any case you're interested in by search for the name, model and the word "review". Trust me, choosing the right case could be harder than choosing all the other components.

I would suggest you also get an anti-static wrist strap and watch a YouTube video on how to correctly use it, although the printed instructions should be sufficient. Basically you find a work area that isn't conductive, like a wooden table top and make sure that you're not standing on carpet, it should preferably be tile or wood. When handling electronics, especially RAM modules, you do not touch the gold fingers, you do not touch the chips, you do not touch the board etches. With RAM you use your thumb and pointing index finger to hold it length wise and insert the modules down into the slot. (Ever wonder why some mobos tout anti-static circuitry for the USB ports? Yep, you never want to touch the metal guard on USB devices, especially as you insert them into the USB slots.)

Noctua's instructions call for ~ 1/16" sliver of thermal paste be applied down the middle of the CPU top, which may work fine for dual cores, but I went with a "+" pattern - no the thermal line does not extend all the way to the edge of the CPU case, it should stop about 1/4" from the edge.

Yeah, that's true that choosing the case is kinda hard to do. They all seem so equivalent. I'll check it out though.

Thanks for all the other practical advices. Do you mean the "+" pattern is more adapted to quad core PCU's like the i7 6700k??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back