Contribute
Register

Computer Shuts Down Unexpectedly During SL Install Everytime

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did as suggested: got a new harddrive and a video card off the compatible list. Long story short it still doesn't work -- the system goes through a long "install" process of Snow Leopard but then eventually hangs up indefinitely. I'd love to get this working but my luck and patience seems to be running out. Hopefully you guys can help me before I give up.

Details: a new HDD, never installed Sandisk 2.5" SSD, 256 GB. New video card, per recommendation: EVGA 8400 GS 512MB. To my knowledge every component of my system is *known* to be compatible with Snow Leopard. More BIOS specifics:

DVD Rom on SATA 0
SSD on SATA 1u
Quick Boot DisabledSATA Mode: AHCI
HPET Mode: 64-Bit

Here's a screen shot where it ends, using the "normal" installation method:

20140526_204303_Android.jpg

Here's a screen shot of the same place in time using the "verbose" installation selection:

20140526_205205_Android.jpg

For what its worth, the very last line reads: "Refusing new kext com.apple.iokit.IOUSBFamily, v3.9.6: already have loaded v9.9.9."

Help anyone?!

bravin

In the BIOS ... do you have an area that covers the USB ports...

You should have a bios option for USB LEGACY support ... enable that (yes)

Also if you can Turn Off the USB 3.0 ports.... in the BIOS.

Thank you for the help. Yes, legacy support was already enabled. Following your advice I turned off USB3 support, tried the whole process again and it ended up in the same spot -- with the text screen saying I needed to power down.

Is it possible my Samsung SATA BluRay DVD player is creating a conflict? Seems strange that it might, seeing as EVERYTHING (iBoot, Snow Leopard) is being read through that drive, but what the heck, I might as well ask the question!

Regards,
Bravin Neff

Thank you for the help. Yes, legacy support was already enabled. Following your advice I turned off USB3 support, tried the whole process again and it ended up in the same spot -- with the text screen saying I needed to power down.

Is it possible my Samsung SATA BluRay DVD player is creating a conflict? Seems strange that it might, seeing as EVERYTHING (iBoot, Snow Leopard) is being read through that drive, but what the heck, I might as well ask the question!

Regards,
Bravin Neff

Given the read errors you reported in an earlier post, the Samsung may indeed be the problem.
Suggest looking at http://lifehacker.com/5815715/how-to-build-a-hackintosh-mini-for-less-than-600 for tips in installing and if still having problems, get an Optiarc.

Given the read errors you reported in an earlier post, the Samsung may indeed be the problem.
Suggest looking at http://lifehacker.com/5815715/how-to-build-a-hackintosh-mini-for-less-than-600 for tips in installing and if still having problems, get an Optiarc.

It turns out I have an Asus Bluray, not a Samsung. Those Optiarcs seem to be discontinued now. Is there a known DVD drive that works well with Snow Leopard installation? Thank you!

Regards,
Bravin Neff

bravinneff

Suggest you look at this link for the OptiArc..

Thank you very much for the help! By the way, I have a Microcenter local to me, so I went there on a whim and purchased a generic $15 SATA DVD Writer. Guess what? It worked!!!

20140527_143421_Android.jpg

As you can see, I'm doing the 10.6.8 update thing, so I'm not fully out of the woods yet. But I have NEVER gotten to the OSX installer until today, with the new DVD drive. Wish me luck!!!!

Okay, still one last problem -- I can't boot without the iBoot disc. I thought I did the Multibeast thing incorrectly, so I ended up doing the whole thing over again --wiping the harddrive and literally doing everything again.

No dice, I still can't boot from the harddrive even with the harddrive wipe and reinstallation of everything. It hangs up on the all-white screen with grey apple logo in the middle, and never gets further. Any suggestions?

Regards,
Bravin Neff

Success!!

Just wanted to share with everyone I got the system fully working! The trick in my case was the boot flag:

ncpi=0x2000

After much searching and reading, I discovered the gems known as boot flags and making them permanent. Nothing like learning as you go! Thank you to everyone that has helped me, and thanks for the awesome website!

Regards,
Bravin Neff

bravin....

Congratulations on getting it up...

And aren't you the lucky dog to have a MicroCenter close to you.... they closed down the one we had here in Silicon Valley.. now we have to pay retail.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back