Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus Z170i Pro Gaming
CPU
i7-6700
Graphics
Nvidia GT 730
Hi folks. Long time lurker here. Great site and great forum!

Looking for some help. I have a Gigabyte GA-H55N-USB3 board with i3-550. 4 GB RAM. SATA Bluray, SATA HD. 500 GB.

I can boot via iBoot, swap over to my Snow Leopard DVD, hit F5, and it goes through about 4 minutes of the blank white screen with the Apple logo in the middle. Mostly seemingly doing nothing, though there is lots of DVD LED activity.

Then it changes to a slightly different blank screen with the Mac spinning mouse cursor, and then it shuts down. I mean, the computer powers itself down suddenly and completely, right during the spinning cursor thing. Every time, and I've tried dozens of times now.

FWIW, after I switch to the Snow Leopard DVD and hit enter, I never see the long scrolling text (that kind of looks like DOS) before entering into OSX installation. It goes right to blank white screen with Apple logo in the middle.

I have tried:

1. Switching between USB and PS2 keyboard.
2. Plugging and unplugging USB mouse.
3. Removing ATI 4650 PCIe video card and going off built in Intel HD graphics DVI port.
4. Yes, ACHI mode and 64 bit HPET thing.
5. Yes, DVD on SATA 0 and HD on SATA 1.

Any ideas? Thank you!

Frustrated,
Bravin Neff

Hi folks. Long time lurker here. Great site and great forum!

Looking for some help. I have a Gigabyte GA-H55N-USB3 board with i3-550. 4 GB RAM. SATA Bluray, SATA HD. 500 GB.

I can boot via iBoot, swap over to my Snow Leopard DVD, hit F5, and it goes through about 4 minutes of the blank white screen with the Apple logo in the middle. Mostly seemingly doing nothing, though there is lots of DVD LED activity.

Then it changes to a slightly different blank screen with the Mac spinning mouse cursor, and then it shuts down. I mean, the computer powers itself down suddenly and completely, right during the spinning cursor thing. Every time, and I've tried dozens of times now.

FWIW, after I switch to the Snow Leopard DVD and hit enter, I never see the long scrolling text (that kind of looks like DOS) before entering into OSX installation. It goes right to blank white screen with Apple logo in the middle.

I have tried:

1. Switching between USB and PS2 keyboard.
2. Plugging and unplugging USB mouse.
3. Removing ATI 4650 PCIe video card and going off built in Intel HD graphics DVI port.
4. Yes, ACHI mode and 64 bit HPET thing.
5. Yes, DVD on SATA 0 and HD on SATA 1.

Any ideas? Thank you!

Frustrated,
Bravin Neff

Are you connecting your display to the card via D-SUB? You need DVI connection - D-Sub doesn't work.
Can you borrow a different gfx card from a friend? The 4650 is not supported in OS X, although it can be made to work by patching ATIRadeonX2000.kext and ATI4600Controller.kext in S/L/E to add the device ID. The Intel HD gfx in the CPU is also unsupported and won't work at all. If you can't borrow a supported card, try an 8800GS / GT or a 9500GT. http://www.tonymacx86.com/wiki/index.php/Graphics_Card_Database may not be up to date, but it does list many cards supported in OS X 10.6.

Try booting with iBoot, swap for the SL install DVD, and when you see the DVD icon tap the down arrow key to hi-lite verbose boot. This will allow you to see what is loading behind that Apple splash screen.

braveinneff

Suggest you look at this article when this hardware was popular...

http://lifehacker.com/5815715/how-to-build-a-hackintosh-mini-for-less-than-600

Also you will notice that the referenced software is older that what we have in Downloads today.

Check the Downloads / Archive section to get the older versions that were used in that article.

Look at the bottom of the Downloads section.

Are you connecting your display to the card via D-SUB? You need DVI connection - D-Sub doesn't work..

Nope, DVI only.

Can you borrow a different gfx card from a friend? The 4650 is not supported in OS X, although it can be made to work by patching ATIRadeonX2000.kext and ATI4600Controller.kext in S/L/E to add the device ID.

Thanks for the info, I'll definitely look for a supported graphics card. Does it mean anything that I'm able to "see" the monitor the entire time up to the point of failure? It seems to work during the install process.

The Intel HD gfx in the CPU is also unsupported and won't work at all. If you can't borrow a supported card, try an 8800GS / GT or a 9500GT.

I've tried both the built-in Intel HD video and the ATI card, both via DVI. The HD gfx also "seems to work" up to the point of failure, by which I mean my monitor is displaying everything.

Try booting with iBoot, swap for the SL install DVD, and when you see the DVD icon tap the down arrow key to hi-lite verbose boot. This will allow you to see what is loading behind that Apple splash screen.

Great pointer, and I'll definitely try that. Thank you!

Regards,
Bravin Neff

braveinneff

Suggest you look at this article when this hardware was popular...

http://lifehacker.com/5815715/how-to-build-a-hackintosh-mini-for-less-than-600

Also you will notice that the referenced software is older that what we have in Downloads today.

Check the Downloads / Archive section to get the older versions that were used in that article.

Look at the bottom of the Downloads section.

Great points, and thank you. I'll report back if the older mobo needs the older iBoot.

Regards,
Bravin Neff

bravinneff

As to your questions....
Does it mean anything that I'm able to "see" the monitor the entire time up to the point of failure? It seems to work during the install process.

Most of the time the video cad will display such items as the splash screens in the GUI mode or the Scrolling text in the Debug mode (-v) but when the OSX attempts to first probe the GFX card and then load a Kext for the GFX card and it fails this will panic the OSX and we get a Halt.

As GB points out that video card is not a good card to start an install with.
One from that list in our wiki would be a better choice.

If you have older computers check to see what video cards they have - some computer repair shops have surplus parts etc that you can pick up cheap.

My favorites are nVidia EVGA 8400GS and 9500GT both are 512K.

You also stated
I've tried both the built-in Intel HD video and the ATI card, both via DVI. The HD gfx also "seems to work" up to the point of failure, by which I mean my monitor is displaying everything.

Both of the current video will not work w OSX SL - yes your are to use (as you area) the DVI port to the DVI port of the monitor. Analog is dead to OSX. And as described above when OSX attempts to load the Kexts and change the resolution thats when it stops. Again please refer to the WIKI page on video cards and see if you can find one that works OOB.

I tried again with iboot v2.5.2, which worked well... in that it still got me to the point of failure, i.e., the computer shuts down. Does it make a difference that my HD has a fully install of Windows 7 64bit on it? I was hoping that when I got to the OSX Disk Utilities screen, I would just format it there. I say this because I don't haven a DOS disk to do the fdisk delete partition thing.

By the way, I got the verbose boot going, and it shows all kinds of gobbledegook, full of lots of:

"SAM Multimedia: READ or WRITE failed, SENSE_KEY = 0x83"
"disk1s3: I/O error."

...over and over Does that mean anything to anyone?

I tried again with iboot v2.5.2, which worked well... in that it still got me to the point of failure, i.e., the computer shuts down. Does it make a difference that my HD has a fully install of Windows 7 64bit on it? I was hoping that when I got to the OSX Disk Utilities screen, I would just format it there. I say this because I don't haven a DOS disk to do the fdisk delete partition thing.

By the way, I got the verbose boot going, and it shows all kinds of gobbledegook, full of lots of:

"SAM Multimedia: READ or WRITE failed, SENSE_KEY = 0x83"

...over and over Does that mean anything to anyone?

bravineff...

Ok lets redress whats needed for this to work...
We need two SATA devices a DVD which is SATA an a SATA HDD.
THe SATA HDD need to be either new or wiped clean - a LINUX "RunTime" whats known as a DISTRO CD is best delete partitions ...
As this motherboard and cpu are not sandy bridge then using the methods posted in the original installs should guide you.
As to these issues "SAM Multimedia: READ or WRITE failed, SENSE_KEY = 0x83"
this can be bad media bad drives bad cables and is most likely the problem.
It gives you a pointer to whats failing the device on port 1 slice 3 not sure what that is but your DVD could be installed on port 0 of the H55 motherboard.
Also using either iBOOT 3.3.0 and the 2.7.2 versions of iBOOT should work w this Motherboard.

THe SATA HDD need to be either new or wiped clean - a LINUX "RunTime" whats known as a DISTRO CD is best delete partitions ...

Not to be thick-headed, but is this step absolutely necessary? I don't know how to go about getting a Linus "run time" to delete my HD's partition.

As to these issues "SAM Multimedia: READ or WRITE failed, SENSE_KEY = 0x83"
this can be bad media bad drives bad cables and is most likely the problem.
It gives you a pointer to whats failing the device on port 1 slice 3 not sure what that is but your DVD

My DVD is absolutely on SATA port 0 and my HD is on port 1. Does that suggest my HD is the problem -- perhaps because it hasn't been wiped clean? Thank you!

Regards,
Bravin Neff

Not to be thick-headed, but is this step absolutely necessary? I don't know how to go about getting a Linus "run time" to delete my HD's partition.

My DVD is absolutely on SATA port 0 and my HD is on port 1. Does that suggest my HD is the problem -- perhaps because it hasn't been wiped clean? Thank you!

Regards,
Bravin Neff

Bravin
to answer question 2 first which may clear up question 1.

TO do a OSX install we need either w wiped clean HDD or a new one.

So if you have a working windows HDD and you want to keep it which is what I suggest as dual booting is nice. Then see about getting another HDD for your OSX install. If you have a spare smaller HDD these work well for Hack volumes as OSX does not need much space.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back