Contribute
Register

[Complete] Original iMac G3 Mini at 38% powered by NUC

Hey, I want to make a tiny mouse for my tiny iMac, but I am having trouble finding a mouse with tiny guts... anyone know of a mouse with a very small internal footprint? I have tried about 10 different "small" mice, but they have just as large of boards as most larger mice. I am hoping to find something in the 1.0-1.5x1.5 inch size. Wishful thinking? I ordered a Finger Mouse to see how small those guts are.

I do have an original Bondi Blue puck mouse, that I successfully 3D printed the externals to convert it to Strawberry.
conversion.jpg

I figured it out.

After disassembling over a dozen mice, including "smaller" ones, I found one with a board I could shrink. Dell circa 2018 model.
Dell-Mouse-mods.jpg

By chopping off everything we don't need (scroll wheel, scroll wheel clicker, right-click) and moving a couple components and some hotwires... I got it to work.
comparison-bot.jpg

Here is the top side before and after:
comparison-top.jpg

Next to a real Apple Puck Mouse (with 3D color change):
comparison-real.jpg

While my iMac mini is 38%, the mouse could only go down to 60% of actual size. You thought it was unusable before, try it with a miniature! Next: figure out how to make this Zagg BT kb smaller (the battery and circuit board are under the front palm rest, maybe I can relocate them underneath near the non-existant function keys).
wkb.jpg

Back