5. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Apple
  2. Classic
  3. iMac
  4. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Case mods... I bought a few extra older NUCs to try out some projects. Here is one I am currently working on. I have been 3D printing with PLA for many years, never tried any other filaments yet. The white/clear parts are 'natural' PLA. This is my first try with some nice transparent PTEG I found in appropriate Bondi and Ruby Red colors.

Smaller shell to test the structure:
test_01.jpg

Smaller shell just to look at the screen size (5.5 inches):
test_07.jpg

Speakers and grills with different sized holes:
test_10.jpg

Screen bezel and front cover (no logo yet):
test_12.jpg

First prints with PTEG in 'aqua' or blue/green, close to apple color:
test_13.jpg

Inner frame with NUC attached, just a test unit so far, many things are moving locations:
test_14.jpg

Tried the top shell overnight... 15+hr print. Some warping I need to figure out how to correct. Maybe print it in a different direction?
IMG_0609s.jpg

IMG_0603s.jpg

Some changes in printing temps and speeds, and I have reduced most of the warping (23 hour print job for each). I tried what I hoped was going to be "Ruby Red" but it looks more like the Apple "Strawberry". The shells are quite thick to enable more strength, so not as transparent as I hoped either. Maybe some sanding and polishing will enhance the transparency.

test_15.jpg

Some changes in printing temps and speeds, and I have reduced most of the warping (23 hour print job for each). I tried what I hoped was going to be "Ruby Red" but it looks more like the Apple "Strawberry". The shells are quite thick to enable more strength, so not as transparent as I hoped either. Maybe some sanding and polishing will enhance the transparency.

View attachment 556129
The red looks amazing!, really strong color.

Progress has slowed down... working out some problems with the 3D model is a bit time consuming, as well as test prints that take 12, 16, 18+ hours. I hope to wrap it up in the next month.

Inner front bezel (outer bezel not complete yet), colored top shell, and internal partial frame... see next pics.
test_16.jpg

The inner bezel has the black screen bezel mounted to it, the side supports to hold the colored shell, as well as the speakers, headphone jack, dual USB 2.0, and power button (missing).
test_17.jpg

The pieces are not cleaned up either... need some deburring and light sanding, and possibly polishing of the colored shell. This shell was printed in a different direction than the final piece I will be using... this is for test fitting.
test_18.jpg

A look inside the case reveals we will have plenty of room to put the power supply, so to reduce the size of the plug, I am going with a 2 prong instead of the mickey-mouse 3 prong. Hopefully the single screw holding the base onto the frame will allow quick access to the RAM/SSD if you need to swap it out.
test_19.jpg

Amazing work sir!. Can I share your work on Hack Desk?.

Now that I have both colors, I think I will just have to buy a second screen so that I have two of them.

test_20.jpg

test_21.jpg

Now that I have both colors, I think I will just have to buy a second screen so that I have two of them.
I much prefer the strawberry one!.

I ventured to my local Free Geek store today... looking for anything interesting. WOW, two old iMac G3s in the colors I am building! So I had to purchase the Strawberry, being more rare than Bondi Blue. Mama and Baby are doing fine.

Nice pair of iMacs:
IMG_0647s.jpg

Can you see the family resemblance?
IMG_0649s.jpg

Back