Contribute
Register

Compatible Graphics Cards with iBoot-Megabeast Set-up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Homegrown PC and Mac
CPU
i7 2600K and i5 2700K
Graphics
Geforce GTX 460
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Is there a list of cards that work with the iBoot-Megabeast set-up?

Working:
XFX 8800GTS with 512mb, dual dvi
EVGA 9400GT with 512mb, dual dvi

Not working:
Zotac 9500GT with 1GB onboard (1 vga, 1 dvi)
XFX 9400GT with 512mb (1 vga, 1 dvi)
EVGA 8400GT with 512mb, 1vga, 1 dvi

Is there anything consistent in what DOES work and what doesn't? I'm not sure why all 9400gt's for example, don't work.

Is there a command line switch for graphics cards similar to the cpu busratio switch?

thanks -- Partman

Love the MEGABEAST! :lol: :mrgreen:

Welcome to the forum! Any 8xxx, 9xxx card should work- it's just a matter of how much power you want. Check out some profiles and signatures to see some cards that are working great. ;)

MEGABEAST :D :thumbup:

Not all cards are created equally, and there are sometimes differences under hood even if they use the same graphics chip.

One thing I've noticed that's consistent: if the card has ONLY DVI ports it works. All the cards I tested with a DVI and a VGA port did NOT work, even if they were the same chipset (ie NV 9400 GT).

Just tested a PNY GT 9500 GT with 1024mb onboard (VCG951024GXEB) and it works just fine on the Megabeast system and sees it as a 9500 GT with 1024mb. Again, twin DVI ports.

Partman

Partman said:
All the cards I tested with a DVI and a VGA port did NOT work, even if they were the same chipset (ie NV 9400 GT).
Strange, my GV-N98TSL-1GI has DVI + VGA + HDMI and all ports work...

lnx2mac said:
Partman said:
All the cards I tested with a DVI and a VGA port did NOT work, even if they were the same chipset (ie NV 9400 GT).

inx2mac, did you just use graphicsenabler=yes to get your 9800gt running?
I am expcting my order next week, and my build is pretty much similar to yours (p55m-ud4, gb 9800gt silent cell, i7 860, i am going with a Kingston ssdnow v+ v2 ssd and 8gb 1333 valueram though)

klaasje said:
lnx2mac said:
Partman said:

inx2mac, did you just use graphicsenabler=yes to get your 9800gt running?
Yep. No more, no less...

Good Luck,
Lnx2Mac

I found a GTX 285 relatively cheap and that works with GraphicsEnabler = yes, as I believe the GTS 250 does as well...

Okay, I'm not new to building machines, I've built over 500 of them, but I am new to building and experimenting with Macs, so excuse me if this question is too basic. I understand there are a few very useful command line switches for boot up. When I had an i3 cpu in my current system, I had to add busratio=22 for that particular cpu.

I'm noticing that a lot of you use the graphicsenabler=yes. I assume this is placed on the same command line?

My big question is -- is there a procedure to place these switches in a startup file so that they are entered automatically? If so, can someone point me to the correct doc?

Thanks a lot. ~partman

There's a file in /extra called com.apple.Boot.plist - you can add any boot flags there and it will use them automatically.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back