Contribute
Register

Compaq Presario C700: Is it capable of being "Hackintosh'ed"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Alienware 14
CPU
Intel Core i5-4200M @ 2.50GHz (Turbo to 3.0GHz)
Graphics
Nvidia GT 750M
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Classic
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey, Guys, Techman749 here,

I've been wanting to get a MacBook Pro for a while now, and I just don't have the money for it at the moment. I do by the way have a Compaq Presario C700 Laptop that I've owned for 6 years now (I got it in 2007) It's a very nice system. I've currently running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit on it. I had a few questions about it being "Hackintosh'ed" I run virtual Machines on it sometimes just so I can play around with old OS's and use software that isn't compatable with Windows 7. One of the virtual machines I tried to run on my computer was Mac OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.2 . I always get the Guru Meditation error when i try to install it onto the virtual hard drive. I usually try to run stuff in a VM to see if it would work so that if i screw something up it screws up a VM and not the actual computer. (If something does go wrong, just delete the VM hard drive and make another and reinstall). Some people have told me that it's because I'm running it in a VM and that it doesnt have everything it needs to work. So, I was wondering if anyone could give me any info as to if Hackintosh'ing this computer is even worth it or if ill just mess it up and have to reinstall. Here are the stats for anyone who needs them: THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR HELP AND SUPPORT!!! :D

RAM: 2.00 GB (IDK everything about it, I got it from Crucial Memory)

Computer: ACPI x64-based PC

Disk drives (Hard Drive): Hitachi HTS541680J9SA00 ATA Device

Display Adapters: Mobile Intel (R) 965 Express Chipset Family

DVD/CD-ROM Drive: Optiarc DVD RM AD-7560A ATA Device

Human Interface Devices: HID-compliant device ; HP Quick Launch Buttons

IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers: ATA Channel 0 ; ATA Channel 0 ; ATA Channel 1 ; Intel (R) ICH8M Ultra ATA Storage Controllers - 2850 ; Standard AHCI 1.0 Serial ATA Controller

Keyboards: HID Keyboard Device ; Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard with HP QLB (Quick Launch Buttons)

Mice and other Pointing devices: Alps Pointing-device

Modems (I don't really use Modems): HDAUDIO Soft Data Fax Modem with SmartCP

Monitors: Generic Pnp Monitor

Network adapters: Broadcom 802.11g Network Adapter ; MAC Bridge Miniport ; Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter ; Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC ; VirtualBox Host-Only Ethernet Adapter

Processors: Intel (R) Pentium (R) Dual CPU T2310 @ 1.46 GHz ; Intel (R) Pentium (R) Dual CPU T2310 @ 1.46 GHz

Sound, video, and game controllers: Conexant HD-Audio SmartAMC HD2

Universal Serial Bus Controllers: Intel (R) ICH8 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2830 ; Intel (R) ICH8 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2831 ; Intel (R) ICH8 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2832 ; Intel (R) ICH8 Family USB Enhanced Host Controller - 2836 ; USB Root Hub (x4)

If you guys need anymore Info Please message me for more info THANKS SOO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP!!!!

Here's what it looks like: HERE

I have mountain Lion 10.8.2 installed, wifi and wired LAN do not work. Used a USB wifi. I actually install this by mistake was using disk utility to clean off the disk and started to install and just let it run and it works. Used tony macs utilities and it boots. I not really tested it out but most things work

Hey, Guys, Techman749 here,

I've been wanting to get a MacBook Pro for a while now, and I just don't have the money for it at the moment. I do by the way have a Compaq Presario C700 Laptop that I've owned for 6 years now (I got it in 2007) It's a very nice system. I've currently running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit on it. I had a few questions about it being "Hackintosh'ed" I run virtual Machines on it sometimes just so I can play around with old OS's and use software that isn't compatable with Windows 7. One of the virtual machines I tried to run on my computer was Mac OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.2 . I always get the Guru Meditation error when i try to install it onto the virtual hard drive. I usually try to run stuff in a VM to see if it would work so that if i screw something up it screws up a VM and not the actual computer. (If something does go wrong, just delete the VM hard drive and make another and reinstall). Some people have told me that it's because I'm running it in a VM and that it doesnt have everything it needs to work. So, I was wondering if anyone could give me any info as to if Hackintosh'ing this computer is even worth it or if ill just mess it up and have to reinstall. Here are the stats for anyone who needs them: THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR HELP AND SUPPORT!!! :D

RAM: 2.00 GB (IDK everything about it, I got it from Crucial Memory)

Computer: ACPI x64-based PC

Disk drives (Hard Drive): Hitachi HTS541680J9SA00 ATA Device

Display Adapters: Mobile Intel (R) 965 Express Chipset Family

DVD/CD-ROM Drive: Optiarc DVD RM AD-7560A ATA Device

Human Interface Devices: HID-compliant device ; HP Quick Launch Buttons

IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers: ATA Channel 0 ; ATA Channel 0 ; ATA Channel 1 ; Intel (R) ICH8M Ultra ATA Storage Controllers - 2850 ; Standard AHCI 1.0 Serial ATA Controller

Keyboards: HID Keyboard Device ; Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard with HP QLB (Quick Launch Buttons)

Mice and other Pointing devices: Alps Pointing-device

Modems (I don't really use Modems): HDAUDIO Soft Data Fax Modem with SmartCP

Monitors: Generic Pnp Monitor

Network adapters: Broadcom 802.11g Network Adapter ; MAC Bridge Miniport ; Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter ; Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC ; VirtualBox Host-Only Ethernet Adapter

Processors: Intel (R) Pentium (R) Dual CPU T2310 @ 1.46 GHz ; Intel (R) Pentium (R) Dual CPU T2310 @ 1.46 GHz

Sound, video, and game controllers: Conexant HD-Audio SmartAMC HD2

Universal Serial Bus Controllers: Intel (R) ICH8 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2830 ; Intel (R) ICH8 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2831 ; Intel (R) ICH8 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2832 ; Intel (R) ICH8 Family USB Enhanced Host Controller - 2836 ; USB Root Hub (x4)

If you guys need anymore Info Please message me for more info THANKS SOO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP!!!!

Here's what it looks like: HERE

I have mountain Lion 10.8.2 installed, wifi and wired LAN do not work. Used a USB wifi. I actually install this by mistake was using disk utility to clean off the disk and started to install and just let it run and it works. Used tony macs utilities and it boots. I not really tested it out but most things work

So Would it be ok to run with Mountain Lion? I can look into getting a USB WiFi doggle or work to get my exsisting WiFi card to run with it. I don't use ethernet much besides to share it's WiFi Connection with my Raspberry Pi when I'm on my Windows 7 Ultimate. I have tried to Install mountain lion on a VM just to see if it would work but I run out of RAM and get kernal panics... so... I guess I'll have to give this a try.

Hope you give the go or no-go for my Hackintosh Project!!!

I have mountain lion 10.8.2 running on it now. Just testing out what is and in not working right now. I have to admit it makes a nice mac book pro. I have every thing stock except 2 gig of ram in the laptop. Let me play with it for a couple of day and I will send you what I used to get everything going

I have mountain lion 10.8.2 running on it now. Just testing out what is and in not working right now. I have to admit it makes a nice mac book pro. I have every thing stock except 2 gig of ram in the laptop. Let me play with it for a couple of day and I will send you what I used to get everything going

OK thanks get back to me when you get the final results!!! Thanks!!!:D

Techman - I have a somewhat similar Compaq Presario a900 and I recently installed SL with a tiny bit of trouble that has since been ironed out.

Wi-fi works in SL no problem. Sound needed a Voodoo kext, battery also needed a power management kext. Keyboard and mouse also needed a kext, and my fan was the most hassle. I did find a working kext solution that was actually made by someone with I believe a C700, so your lappy would probably run well on SL. Not sure about ML.

I did install a 200GB SS HD, and my system takes 15-20 seconds from boot to completely loaded and useable.

Overall I'm very happy with my results, and I can let you know more info if you want. Our specs are probably similar, and searching for C700 kexts will probably let you know some ideas about issues other people ran into.

Cheers,
-Mike

Techman - I have a somewhat similar Compaq Presario a900 and I recently installed SL with a tiny bit of trouble that has since been ironed out.

Wi-fi works in SL no problem. Sound needed a Voodoo kext, battery also needed a power management kext. Keyboard and mouse also needed a kext, and my fan was the most hassle. I did find a working kext solution that was actually made by someone with I believe a C700, so your lappy would probably run well on SL. Not sure about ML.

I did install a 200GB SS HD, and my system takes 15-20 seconds from boot to completely loaded and useable.

Overall I'm very happy with my results, and I can let you know more info if you want. Our specs are probably similar, and searching for C700 kexts will probably let you know some ideas about issues other people ran into.

Cheers,
-Mike

If you can, Would you please Provide me those kexts, or the links to those kexts? I've been trying to do this projects with as little of a problem as I can. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back